Stretta treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had the Stretta treatment? And how did you find it? Any problems? I am waiting for an appointment to see if I am suitable but I also have a 2cm hiatus hernia. I would be interested in any feedback. I know about the NF op but have read some bad after effects with it so I am weary about going for that op, but I am getting to the point where I think anything must be better than this living hell.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Joyce I don't know anything about that but I'm sure someone can help you. Lorray

• Posted

Hi Joyce

I just wanted to let you know that I had the NF op in September and I can honestly say it's the best decision I made. Everyone is different and I also read the bad reviews and my doctors advised against it but now she can't believe how much better I look and feel after having the op.

For me the NF was the last resort I was that bad and having suffered for 8 years I just wanted my life back.

Louise

• Posted

Louise Hi I'm so glad it worked for you too. I know what you mean about getting your life back. Take care. 💕 Lorray

• Posted

When I was researching the Down With Acid book (www DownWithAcid org uk) . I had quite a discussion with the manufacturers, Mederi, regarding the device since early reports were not that favourable. Eventually, I accepted most of the text for that chapter from them (which is why it's in blue italics, if you look up the chapter) .

They made this staement: "We do not position Stretta as competitive treatment with surgery – but instead a less invasive bridge that allows some patients for whom medications are not completely effective to avoid surgery and its potential complications, or if someone has had surgery allows them an option other than additional surgery."

So for some people, who don't get much reflux problem, it may be beneficial?

This is what concerned me: A 10 year follow-up report of patients who had received Stretta therapy published in Surgical Endoscopy February 2014 showed  "72 % of patients normalizing GERD symptom scores, 41 % of patients able to remain off regular medication for GERD, 64 % of patients able to reduce medication use by 50 % or greater, and more than 60 % sustained improvement in satisfaction." I didn't think 41% able to remain off medication was much to crow about.

• Posted

hey there...recently got diagnosed with small hiatal hernia and gerd..took ppis for 8 weeks..was on 20mg each day..now 4th day without ppi and my esophagus hurts so bad...what is happening?i also had esophagitis before and i feel like its coming back...when i walk the pain in esophagus becomes worse..y its not healed??whats going on??
  • Posted

As regards Nissen Fundoplication, you probably have only seen those people posting who have had problems. The vast majority do not.

From the Down With Acid book:

A study published in Surgical Endoscopy in 2014 reviewed the durability of Laparoscopic Fundoplication over 20 years and concluded, "Long-term results from the early experience with LF are excellent with 94 % of patients reporting only occasional or fewer reflux symptoms at 20-year follow-up. However, 18 % required surgical revision surgery to maintain their results. There is a relatively high rate of daily dysphagia but 90 % of patients are happy to have had LF." 

• Posted

For me, fundoplication was the best thing I ever did. I'd had reflux issues all my life, remembering incidents when I was 3 - but we didn't know it was reflux then. Finally at age 60 (9 years ago) all those issues were cleared up by one simple operation.

• Posted

I'm so happy you are doing well. That is great news. Yes the people I have talked to are glad they had it done. Take care. Lorray

• Posted

Sometimes you have to wait you whole life (almost 60 years in your case) to cure your problem XD
    • Posted

Yes you sure had to wait a long time for some long lasting relief. It's amazing to think you started having all of this at 3. I hope life is going well now and you feel good for the rest of your life. Take care. Lorray

• Posted

Hi Barrets, I wonder if you had any chest muscle/rib-cage pain all day long (like inflamation) when you had reflux?  Before the NF.   I also have gluten sensitivity but is not helping eating gluten free so maybe is the reflux. ;-(
  • Posted

Yes, the NF is the best one so far but the stretta is less invasive, much less invasive and if it doesn't work you don't need anything else done and just move forward to the next procedure. Is like doing an endoscopy  (which I'm having another one in 3 hours) ;-)

In my book I will only do the stretta and if it doesn't work for any reason I'll try NF or the ring.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, I am still waiting for an appointment to see about the stretta ,at the moment I am feeling constantly nauseous and can't seem to get rid of it, if its not one thing it's always something else. Thanks again.

• Posted

I replied to you in private-  But my endoscopy did show moderate gastritis which apparently is affecting my esophagus (initial stage). Once the results are in I will go for the stretta if the results are not good. Btw, I believe stress is the reason I have moderate gastritis which in turn is affecting my esophagus.  So stress in my book is the #1 factor for many diseases and pains.  Now, keep in mind I do not use PPI's, which also helps with gastritis so maybe is time I take some. Yes, I hate them but I need to control this until the results are in and surgery is done which in my case is the stretta which is therapy, is not even a surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.