Stria and anger. What do I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have suspected cushings disease. 

Im finding the anger so difficult to deal with, it feels like even those who love me are against me. I'm constantly flipping out at them and I don't even know why. Anyone know anyway to calm this? 

Also im covered in stria. In the last month I've got from having it on my hips and thighs to my entire abdomen covered, my arms, and down to my calves. The stria are bright red and don't turn white. This week I've started getting them on my shoulders at the top. Any cures? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  It is not that your loved ones are against you, it is because they don't understand and just want to help.  If you had a broken lleg they would know what to do to make you more comfortable.  When you next see your Gp or the Endo tell them how you feel, there are things to help I am sure.  As for the Stria that is so awful for you.  I have heard that Bio-Oil is very good if used regularly.  I hope that some of the others may have better ideas.  Let's hope you get sorted soon.
    • Posted

Yeah I've tired all the different oils, especially bio oil. I use it religiously for years but no luck. I feel so full of anger and i keep taking it out on them and I don't know how to stop it 
  • Posted

Wow.....your striae sounds so bad.....I am so sorry!  I had the striae on my belly real badly.  The elasticity in my skin was terrible.  The striae were like snakes all the way up to my chest almost.....and they were even bleeding a little bit....that's how thin the skin got.

i was very, very emotional when I had Cushing's. What a nightmare.  I took Citalopram ( Celexa 40mg) and that helped me a lot.

looking back now, I wish that I knew more.....I would have asked for Xanax to come my Cortisol-fried nerves.

Nowadays, there is medication that the doctor can give you to lower your Cortisol while waiting for surgery and/or a cure.

Back  in 2002 when I was diagnosed I didn't know anything.

i wish my doctors would have been more interested in helping me soothe and control the symptoms.

I did take 3 different blood pressure meds, anti depressants and insulin for diabetes....but this was all before the official diagnosis.

After surgery......the doctors didn't offer me anything for my extreme soreness/ stiffness and my horrific nausea.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have asked for a whole lot more help with my physical and mental suffering.

so, please make sure you fight for anything you need or that may help you.

i am not sure about what will help the striae.....maybe pure cocoa butter.

if it means anything to you, I am feeling a million times better now......many years after pit surgery.  I am cured and hopefully you will be too soon!

• Posted

I had no idea until a day or two ago about tablets to lower cortisol levels so I'll definitely be asking for those. I've suffered with depression in the part and been medicated but this is completely different it's just rage and guilt. Hopefully tomorrow my Drs will give me answers. I'm glad you got through it, you give us all hope 
    • Posted

Just a suggestion.I made copies of information and symptoms of Cushing's to give to my family members,to help them understand how I was feeling,and why I may be angry towards them.As I've said previously,they still don't all understand the implications of Cushing's and it's after treatment,but it may help you initially for them to have something in writing.
    • Posted

That's such a good idea. I think I'll ask my parents if they want me to do that. I don't want to shove it in front of them as I don't want to send out the message that they aren't understanding enough as they've done so much for me. But I think it would be a great idea though. Thanks 
  • Posted

I feel your pain with striae I too was and am covered.  At point of diagnoses is was deep purple and also bled at times.  However once I was on medication to lower my cortisol (Metyrapone and ketaconazole are the two drugs I was on however ketaconazole has just been taken off the market so i am just waiting to see what happens to my cortisol levels with only taking the metyrapone,) the striae are now silver and although the elasticity has gone the only place it  shows  is my arms as when wearing t shirts it is obvious.  However having been diagnosed in 2002 having pituitory surgery and then being told I had an ectopic source of cushings which they are still looking for I now see my arms as a badge of honour having survived and feeling so much better on medication!  I may have to have an adrenalectomy if my cortisol cant be controlled only on metyrapone but have fought this for 13 years as once they find the ectopic tumour I would then be left with no adrenal glands!  All very complicated, but have to say once you are stabalised on medication you will feel much better.  I was put on it short term prior to my surgery for my pituitory tumour but then when they discovered I had an ectopic source I remained on it.  

Although I experienced anger and low mood I didnt require medication at the time but would have taken it if needed.  I used to take a list of everything I was experiencing before i saw the endocronologist as brain fog was something else I struggled with.  Its so important to tell them exactly how you are feeling and what can be done to help.

Its a long scary journey at times and I only found this site recently, it would have been so good to speak to others who had gone through what I was experiencing.

Hope your Doctor can give you something to help.

• Posted

I never thought of the marks as a badge of honour and it's make me smile. I wrote a "day in the life" but I think concentrating on the symptoms lowered my mood. However I think it will be useful tomorrow when I see my dr. I'm struggling with expressing my pain to everyone and I'm not sure why. But the anger has lessened today so I feel slightly better. I hope the Drs sort your problems out soon. I can't imagine dealing with this for that long. 
  • Posted

Hi,I have them still very visible,since 1997, down my tummy.I hardly had any during pregnancy,but got them with Cushing's.They are wide enough to fit my fingers in.I sometimes think if they could be all sewn up,I would have a less saggy tummy.They break out in sores too.It was a real tell-tale symptom of Cushings for me,and the 'moonface'.I was given an information booklet back then,with before and after surgery pictures of a Cushing's patient.My son,6 at the time,said "that looks like you,Mummy",and it certainly did.
    • Posted

Wow that's a long time. I feel like a pregnant lady and at my age it's hard. I've often had thoughts of cutting my stomach open so the Drs would stitch it up and get rid of them. I don't feel like this anymore as I was young and think. Ah I hate the moon face, you can't hide it away like the stria. Aww bless kids can be so funny 
    • Posted

Thankfully the moonface does improve after treatment,you'll be glad to know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.