Stricture treatments

Posted , 2 users are following.

so heres some back story:

my husband has a urethral stricture. it took months of agony for the VA to diagnose it. after his diagnoses they told us that the cystoscopy is usually effective in treating the issue. Well a couple months later and my husbands symptoms started reoccur. its now been 2 years since the cystoscopy. after another couple months fighting with the VA they finally agreed to cover the use of a urologist outside of the VA. Before seeing my husbands current urologist the VA was just going to do urethral dilation. they also said we should be weary to do the urethroplasty surgery because recovery is so difficult.

yesterday my husband had a cystoscopy with his current urologist. it was very quick as the urologist had been called to the ER for a surgery. There was no time for us (mainly me as the wife) to ask any questions or talk about what we saw on the screen. he sent a consult in for a radiologist to call us so we can schedule a dye and x ray test to see exactly what size of strictures we are dealing with and as he left mentioned that after that set of imaging they'll schedule surgery. we were both in shock as we didnt think that surgery was going to be necessary. we were expecting just a simple dilation procedure will fix all his problems and we will be done with this nightmare. i absolutely hate that he is in so much pain and discomfort and theres nothing i can do about it. however due to past trauma with having my father in the hospital and surgery not going well when i was young im beyond scared of the prospect of my husband going under the knife. of course we will do whatever it takes to get him better and i will cope with whatever i have to.

my questions for all of you, did anyone find relief/cure for your stricture without surgery? if we have to do surgery, please tell me something, anything to help ease my mind. seeing my husband in pain is emotionally agonizing for me and i just need all the information possible. knowing how to help him best will help me feel not so bad and scared.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey ashlee, how is your husband doing now? I'm sorry, this community is not active at all. I am not sure why. We must share as much information as we can and help each other.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.