Stroke caused by pacemaker? Antidepressant use

Posted , 2 users are following.

My grandfather, aged 90, with diabetes and several clogged arteries, had a pacemaker implanted in July. He didn't react that well to the surgery, reporting the usual discomfort and some pain in the first weeks. Then he started getting apathic, low appetite, and had full conscious that he wasn't that well, but still didn't seem to care about it when we asked how he was feeling.

About a month ago, we took him to his MD, who prescribed escilatopram, because he seemed "depressed".

Then the nightmare began. In the first/second day, hallucinations, mental confusion, couldn't recognize anyone or where he was (at his own home), couldn't even speak or formulate a thought. We stopped the antidepressant usage but it was too late. By the third day he had a huge hyperglycemia crisis, where the glucose level reached almost 500 mg/dL. We had to inject rapid acting insulin to bring the glucose to regular levels, because his long-acting insulin couldn't to the job, and it's been like that ever since. 

Can't eat a single bread, single potato, or the glucose level shoots up.

The doctors said he could've had a stroke, kidney disease and even prostate cancer. Though, they can't even do a CT scan or MRI because of the pacemaker implant.

He now looks like he's dying and it gets me deeply sad and angered because we can't get any answers on how to try to treat a person so dear to us, who was in full conscious a few weeks ago and now looks like he's about to die.

Can I get a few insight from you here? Some similar case/experience?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I hate to tell you the story because I don't want to frighten you but my wonderful sweet mother-in-law it was about 10 years younger then your grandfather and had a pacemaker put in. I don't remember how much time it was after the surgery probably between one and two weeks she started acting very odd. She was not really comprehending what was going around her. For example when a phone rang she picked up the TV remote control and tried to use it as a phone. Well it turns out that she had gotten a staph infection on the pacemaker and because it was on the pacemaker which attaches to the heart the heart pumped the staph all through her body very quickly. She was admitted to the hospital and they pumped mega doses of antibiotics in her but nothing worked and she finally passed away.

I personally don't think that the lexipro (escitalopram) he was on would have done that to him. I've taken Lexapro for about a year with no problems. And many many many people take this medication without any kind of problems like that.

As hard as it may be to comprehend or to accept his doctor may be right. He is 90 years old after all and at that age it is very likely for him to have cancer or a stoke or any number of things. And even if they could diagnose the problem is very possible that there would be no treatment for him at his advanced age.

I know how much you love your grandpa and I feel so bad that you are having to deal with this. You may want to consult with friends in real life and not just the computer for support at this difficult time in your life. Of course we are all here to help you too.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and kind words.

Unfortunately he passed away a few days ago, after a month of suffering and despair. We had him examined by a neurologist, who diagnosed a small stroke, and told us he could recover some of his functions with physiotherapy.

But then he started getting more numb and apathic, not responding to stimuli at all and trembling a lot. We finally called an ambulance and went to the hospital, where I think he should've stayed since the beggining, but the family's doctor convinced us to try to treat him at home.

In the hospital, the doctors diagnosed a severe imbalance in electolytes, probably caused by end-stage kidney failure, and started the treatment right away. 

My mother stood with him unitl 8 pm (hospitals here don't let you stay inside after 8 pm as a visitor/companion), gave him a kiss and came home feeling that he was in good hands and could recover. 30 minutes later she received the call... as soon as she left, he had a cardiac arrest.

It was probably a combination of a stroke with loss of function of the kidneys. The doctors didn't want to admit, but gave us an insight that this could be caused by the ICD (and not pacemaker, sorry) implantation.

I feel a bit of guilt for not being able to help him. I keep thinking that if we got him into the hospital since the beggining of his severe symptoms, he could still be alive today. But we did everything we could to give him paliative care, and treated him with love and compassion, things that probably he wouldn't get for his last few days inside an hospital facility.

To all of you reading this topic: before undergoing a pacemaker/ICD surgery, make sure your cardiologist and the patient are in full syntony about the pros and cons. If you notice the slightest of change in behaviour after the procedure, call your doctor, if he tells you everything is ok, just ask another doctor. I feel that there was a bit of negligence with his cardiologist, who, ever since the surgery, never cared about his recovery or later changes in his life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.