Stroke end of life

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

My grandmother 86 years old, suffered a stroke a week ago and since the stroke she is unconscious and hasn't opened her eyes, and doesn't know anyone is around her. Basically in a coma. All she does is move a tiny bit.

Basically the doctors and us decided that it would be best for end of life care. Since this she has no food, water and no medications just stuff to keep here comfortable.

However we are unsure how long she will live for are we looking at days, weeks or months.

Advice would be very appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ross. Sorry you are going through that with your grandmother. My father was similar at age of 79 collapsed with a large stroke and was unconcious. He drifted in an and out looked at us then shut his eyes again. Doctor said that if he did not wake up, other things would happen like infections. He lasted 5 days until he got an infection in his lungs because he was not properly breathing and died through the night. 
  • Posted

Depends how strong she is, I was in cuckoo land for a year until they fitted a shunt and it cleared up hydrocephalus.   I saw my sister go that way with pallative care. After my stroke I got Sepsis due to Cathater not being emptied enough

I do not envy your Nan  or you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.