Stroke paralysis disappears at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a Tia a little over a week ago, and the worst effect is that I can't use my right hand.  My arm strength is OK, just no voluntary movement of the hand or fingers.  However, 3 or 4 times now I've awoken during the night (to roll over, etc.) and I've been able to straighten my fingers and clench my fist with very little effort.  But the ability goes away as soon as I wake up the next morning.

This gives me hope that at least the nerve pathways are still active, but why just at night?  Does it have something to do with being in an altered state of consciousness?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear dkurrin,

I have no idea why this is happening to you but what I do know is this...do not wait around and hope nerve damage will correct itself on its own...it wont...it will never do that without you being proactive and doing it quickly You need to do everything within your power to correct any type of nerve damage within the first sixth months of damage, whether that be through blocks or stimulation or physical therapy or any form of assistance that will help you retrieve them or bring you comfort from any pain nerve damage can bring. If you are feeling this at night, go to a good doctor and ask them what it's about. Please do this quickly because the longer you wait the less options you will have.

I hope you accept my advice in the true kindness I am intending to pass on to you.

My best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hopefully you are getting physiotherapy through your hospital as the first six weeks are the most important for recovery, then the next three months are through your own efforts and apparently up to18 months for real improvement, depending on how much damage is done. my husband was given physiotherapy at home for an hour five days a week for six weeks and has regained the use of his left arm and hand which didn't move at all.  It's been a miracle but lots of hard work has paid off.  Three months on, It's still ongoing with his own efforts now and going to a gym and exercises at home. I hope you are getting the help you need as it's key to your recovery.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi there,I don't know why that is happening to you but as soon as I read it I took it as positive, hopefully you will regain the use of your hand completely.  I had a Tia last December, I was unable to use my left side for roughly an hour.. Whether the drugs they gave me sorted it out or would it have come back naturally I'll never know, also when I felt it hard to grip with my left hand I took two aspirin as I suspected I could be having a stroke, shortly after I collapsed and was rushed to hospital. I have tried to be as active as I can each day even though motivation is hard at times, I do think you'll regain the use of you hand,the best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Hello there, first of all, I am so sorry that you had to endure this. Although you appear to have funcitonality and look "okay" I am sure that you don't truly feel that way.

A TIA is something called a TRANSIENT Ischemic Attack - meaning you should have a very short episode of these symptoms and then regain full funcionality. A CVA Cerebrovasclar Attack is when there is damage to the brain tissue and leave a lasting deficit. It is suggested that you speak to your physician and review any radiological imaging to ensure that it was indeed a TIA vs a CVA.

As far as your hand - awesome news that you have some movement.  The recovery process differs with each individual.  The important thing to know is that although an area of the brain may be damaged, the brain itslef is a very complex organ and has the ability to possible build new pathways to compensate what was lost - meaning, don't stop trying to move your hand, make sure you get physicial therapy/occuptational therapy as soon as posible.  You can even exercise your hand yourself. Take your good hand and use it to move your affected hand. Stretche your fingers out etc. ec. There are some pathways that may be active as evidence by the movement but again recovery is different for so many people.  I run a stroke survivor group and I know that the process is someteimes defeating but possible.

But please do make an appointment with a Physical Therapist or Occupational Therapist right away and also excercsie that affected hand!

Best of luck and wishes to you.

• Posted

Well DK,

When you get a sense of feeling coming back use your thumb to touch each finger on the hand ie thumb reach over for little finger then ring finger etc till you get to index finger and use other hand to shake the dead one  ie grasp hands do that every night and shake the hand with other hand ..understand? and see if it gets better xx cannot hurt you xx Good luck don't give up xx

Win

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.