Stroke, Tia or Hemiplegic Migraine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I have been diagnosed with Hemiplegic migraines, and have been getting lots of Auras in the last month. So havent felt right and am always tired.

yesterday, I woke up in the afternoon, and I had tingling down rightside of my body. my right arm was very shaky, so immediately took some Aspirin. The top of my right cheek was twitching too. Within half an hour of taking the Aspirin I went numb down rightside, My arm felt like it had that dead feeling and I had to keep shaking it.

This morning I still felt not right, and blood pressure spiked to 158/109 so decided to go into hospital. my right side of my head didnt hurt just felt like pressure. as I was getting ready I noticed my right eyebrow and eye was drooping so immediately called an ambulance, they said they were busy and to relax and only call them if I get worse. I fell asleep and was woken up by 999 apologising for the delay, I noticed my numbness had worn off alot, and my eye had righted itself, so I cancelled the ambulance and called 111 for advice, was put through to a nurse and after the assessment she said that I needed to get to a and e within the hour. i am so tired, i just went to bed and then my head started to hurt so have taken two aspirins. i dont want to drive or spend 3 hrs in a and e to be sent home with no ct scan due to my hemi migraines. My bp is starting to go down, and I just want to sleep. I cant stop wondering if I have had a stroke, and would be interested in anyones thoughts on this.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I’ve been experiencing the same frustrating symptoms for the past 6 months.

In the past I have had excruciating migraines since the age of 18 (I am now 28). I was diagnosed originally with hemiplegic migraine. The past 6 months though I’ve had new symptoms where I suddenly feel dizzy and then I have a feeling of complete exhaustion come over me. Within minutes my speech goes and is all jumbled up, delayed and at times I’m unable to speak a word. I then feel confused and I am barely conscious when these happen and can hardly remember what’s happened during the episode then afterwards I feel completely drained with no energy.

6 months ago was when I was diagnosed with something new, brain stem aura, it began with the paralysis down my left side, drooping face and unable to grip or hold anything in my left hand. It was as if my left side was completely detached from the rest of me. I was rushed to hospital with suspected stroke (even though they were aware of the hemiplegic episodes) but the scan came back normal. I was discharged from a&e 2 days later still unable to walk or move my left arm and hand or hold anything. I remained like this for 2 weeks until I managed to see a private dr in London at st, Thomas’s hospital. He was the dr who diagnosed brain stem aura. Once I was put on preventative medication I had no symptoms and was completely back to normal within a couple of days. Now about a month ago out of the blue I have had had 2 mini ‘attacks’ and 2 bad ‘attack’s’. One on Sunday and one today. I am unable to get hold of my dr and am now desperate to know if I’m having TIA’s or just different forms of this condition.

Also, with all of these episodes the past 6 months I haven’t once had a headache like I use to.

If anyone can offer advice I’d be grateful.

Thanks

L

• Posted

When I had my stroke, 8 years ago now, I was shown the result of the MRI and it showed a medium sized space ( about size of a 50p piece where the function was dead. It was on the left side and affected my speech and Memory. The memory has got worse over the past six years, but the speech is only affected when I get really stressed or tired. I have had several TIA's which started with high blood pressure, then very low BP causing me to collapse. I am on blood thinners (warfarin) and have weekly blood tests to test the INR. The results are not very stable and can be affected by various factors, other meds, stress, diet etc. It makes it very difficult to establish a regular dosage, so that keeps changing. (That doesn't help the stress)

You mentioned early on, the tests for MS, has that been discounted now, or is it still a factor?

I have recently been diagnosed with severe depression (last 3 months or so) but they are not doing much about that. I saw a Psychiatrist, who told me to get over it .... ! I'm feeling better but constantly tired. Had full blood analysis, but that didn't show anything.

Hope your recovery continues .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.