Strong Mirtazipine Side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was prescribed 15 mlg one a day at night mirtazipine roughly 2 weeks ago. The first week the only side effects were odd dreams and increased appetite. No big deal.

The next week on the meds however were not so fun. I have had a headache that is more pressure feeling than spike pain for a solid 7 days. Also, specifically my arms have felt very shaky. I do not feel weak really, just when doing precise tasks like writing or cooking I notice my hands and arms shake. This feeling has been strictly in my arms. Finally, on day 15 i began having occasional diarrhea, but not nausea, noirregular heart beat and amazingly no breathing issues more than i may have due to my asthma. I also have woken up 3 days in a row shaking all over. It feels like a panic attack but without any thoughts in my mind good or bad and also it passes quickly.

Has anybody had any of these side effects? Are they related to the meds at all? Will they pass? And info at all helps.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi will I am new to this too although I have asked question myself. I have had symptoms like yours .i am 2 weeks in on mirt 30 mg so I am assuming although we are all different but they must be effects from mirt I was a little confused with the diareorh but then I read it on the pamphlet.Plus our bodies are sensatiesed so will notice any new feeling and grab onto them. Hope this helps a little will but I am sure there will be someone who has had more experience than myself to help xxx
  • Posted

HI WILL,,you do not say your problem,,but if anx/dep,,your side effects are not too bad others get far worse maybe its because of the lower dose ,,but stay on the 15mg for a couple weeks longer it takes 3-4 weeks to get into your system,and then you should start to feel better,,i was on mirt for 5 months for bad anx/dep/insomnia i have been OFF FOR 4 MONTHS,,but still have sleep problem i am taking trazodone for this ,,read my posts and others and u will learn more   ,,,,BLUESY,,,,,,GOOD LUCK
  • Posted

Hi Will.Started on Mirt about 7 weeks ago at 15mg and was upped to 30mg 2 1/2 weeks ago(15 in morning,15 at night).Did intially have weird dreams,but I've always been a vivid dreamer,so it's hard to tell as my dreams now seem more back to "normal."At first slight irregular heartbeat,but then disappeared.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Hey Will... I would say yes, most likely the medication. How long will the effects last is anyone's guess. We're all wired differently. I've had lingering side effects for a year and a half. Weakness, fatigue, occasional dizziness, back pain, occasional nausea. Looking at coming off the mirtazapine in the near future. When I started on the med I had shakiness, irregular heartbeat, sweating, weakness/fatigue, back pain, dizziness, brain fog, and some other things. Some dissipated, some stuck with me, and some developed later on down the line. I never really have had the benefit of better sleep or increased appetite. It has helped with anxiety/depression though. In my case, however, I don't believe the benefits have outweighed the side effects. My mood is slightly improved, but I spend most days in bed because I feel physically incapable of engaging in regular activities. It's been a drag. 

• Posted

Hi Will,

Sorry to hear you're suffering from those side effects.

I remember my first time taking Mirtazapine, it triggered a small but short lived panic attack, and left me pretty anxious, until of course the sleep inducing affects kicked in. It was a weird experience like you described with the shakiness, I thought I was having a small seizure and was trembling for a while.

The headaches you describe and head pressure are symptoms related to your nervous system and are a rare side effect from the Mirtazapine, of course the diarrhoea is GI related and is probably due to the meds too, as well as the trembling or shaking as you say as that is common side effect.

I would probably see your GP if those symptoms continue or you feel like it is causing you concern. If you do experience any changes in your mood such as confusion and random surges of adrenaline or excitement I would see your GP sooner rather than later.

Wish you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.