Strong/painful palpitation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced really strong/painful palpitations. I had a really strong quite painful palp last night that woke me up and after that I didn't really sleep as I was worried it would happen again. I'm a worrier at the best if times so this happening really hasn't helped and I know it's a vicious circle, worry=palps!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I get runs of them which will not stop until I sleep despite taking bisoprolol, I get discomfort in my chest which makes me panic because I think of a heart attack.  I am 70 years old and have had them since I was 28 when they were brought to my attention, they have got worse as I,ve got older with the addition of svt.
    • Posted

Hi Ann,

I've been suffering from palpitations on and off for about 12 years (I'm now 40) . I just wish I could convince myself that they are nothing to worry about but do stuggle with that. The Dr did give me propranolol but I didn't take it as my heart rate is a bit on the slow side anyway and I don't want it to slow down further. How have you managed to cope with them for so long? I do find reading other peoples comments on here reassuring as it's good to know its not just me that is suffering.

• Posted

Hi Lindsey, you are a carbon copy

Of me.

I have been suffering for 12 years now I'm 42. Had all the tests echo, stress, cardiologist x3 echo under contrast

And angiogram. All say heart structure is fine and the cardios say don't worry! Easy for them to say.

It's honestly ruined my life I struggle to get my head around it. I wish I could as I can't exercise either as that sets them

Off 😞

• Posted

I hear you! I have been getting them for the past 6 weeks or so. Not really painful but some of them are more intense than others. I either feel them in my throat or chest. Then the anxiety creeps in and they continue. Been trying to associate the causes around my food, drink, environment and exercise (I am an endurance athlete and workout fanatic for decades). One thing I am considering is the fact that I have been working under and around a lot of power lines lately. The palpitations and slight chest pressure seem to always come more frequently when I am under the power lines. Anyone else spend time around power lines?
    • Posted

Hi Jharles,

People have reported health issues due to living near power lines so you never do know!

• Posted

Hi, Lindsey, yep I have had a painful one wake me up ,also when I just wake up. Scared the dickens out of me. It only means after the extra beat your heart paused ( not really an extra beat, just an early beat) a little longer, allowing your heart to fill with more blood, and having to push out the extra blood, caused your heart to kind of push against the organs around the heart, causing pain or discomfort, I have even felt pain in my throat from them.There is a cardiologist, on YouTube,named Sajay Gupta, from York England. He has several wonderful videos, about extra beats, and other issues. He discussed this issue to. Look for the one about painful etopics. Look at his other ones too. He has one about how not to be frightened by these skips! Please check him out, let me know what you think. I know he will help, he has eased my mind. Take care , go watch!! Mabel 27. A brief pain means nothing!! He is a caring wonderful Dr. Wish he was here in the states!!
    • Posted

Hi Mabel

I will have to have a look and see what he does and if you say he's reassuring then thats got to be good!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.