Struggling

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hiya

I'm 3 week + 1 and I'm feeling really down heartened. My bend is 70ish, but that's only when sat on the end of dining table and letting gravity play its part. No way can I get that sat normally on a bed or chair. Still using a stick although gone from 2 to 1. I'm only getting Physio once a week and then it's a group session and no one to one really and now I don't feel like I'm progressing very quickly. 

Pain is controllable to a point now, sleep isn't easily come by still. My swelling is still so bad and I ice often and all over my knee not just the top. It's the swelling I feel that's stopping my bend, it's like pushing against a brick wall with nowhere to go! I still can't do a straight leg raise or lift my leg indepandantly. I feel so behind everyone else.  

I'm 34 and trying to keep my house, kids, husband and dogs running is frustrating when i can't get about very well. 

How soon did everyone go back to work and driving? Not that I feel ready for either but be nice to know

J x

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I saw my surgeon today. It's been 5 1/2 weeks. My physio gave up on me at 3 weeks because he could not get more than 85 degree bend, but he gets to try again now because the surgeon said he could not manipulate it until 12 weeks. To do it now would cause beeding and more scarring. His solution was to increase my pain killer and prescribe a straight brace for sleeping, and a bending brace to use during the day, plus back to physical therapy. I really think you should ask for one on one physio.

At 3 weeks I would not be so concerned. The swelling is causing a lot of the trouble. Try to put it way up and ice it a few times a day. I'm afraid this is when you get to learn patience, and get to learn how to ask people to do things for you. I know it's hard. I learnt it several years ago when I had severe tennis elbow.

My doctor said I could drive now, so I will give that a try. It is my right knee though so not sure if I'll be able to get into the seat. With only 85 degree bend I can only just get in the passenger seat.

• Posted

I am 18 weeks post op and just started having more physio for pain management I have a good bend but my problem s putting any weight on it. I still use one stick when out and about. I drove at 6 wks but still find it painful when in traffic using the clutch. I done sleep well and wake mist mornings at 3am, the gp has just changed my medication to see if they can change the pattern, not happening yet.  I managed to get a good bend by hooking my good leg around bad leg  and pushing it back as far as I can physio said I hae a phenomenal bend when sitting, it's all the other areas that I gave weakness,  consultant said my quadriceps are very slack causing the kneecap to move making me wobble and need exercising .  Hope you get on and start to,improve. 
  • Posted

Hi, Julia,

3 weeks is very early , but bend should be more ...have you tried sitting toward the front of a chair , and really bending that knee back . It will hurt , and you will feel as the the knee could split open , but just push through the pain ...are you taking anti-inflammatory?, that may tell with the swelling and stiffness . I was using 2 sticks fir longer than you , although my bend was over 100.... Don't discard them too early, .i kept at least one until I could walk with no limp at all. I iced a lot , also wrapping it around the back of the knee .. Straightening was more a problem for me , but all good now .exercise as much as you can . Good luck 

Pam 5 months 

• Posted

34! I Waited 26 years for my op as I was "too young" before. Sorry you have still a very long journey ahead but make sure you do your exercises. I know you need to be Superwoman with a young family but the housework will still be there whatever, so make sure you're kind to yourself and learn to delegate. I could have driven and gone back to work at six weeks but I'm retired so didn't need to. I did get back to my voluntary work though (only a couple of days a week) and drove 15 miles to the Physio at six weeks. I shopped online, my husband remembered how to iron and what the cleaner was for and my friends and family rallied round and even the 15 year old next door helped me put the garden to bed for winter! Sure you'll get there soon but don't forget to pamper yourself.
  • Posted

Hi Julia. It's very early days for you jet and I fully understand your frustration at not being able to do the things you need to. I am 18weeks and from the very beginning I had really good bends and I did not use my crutches around the house from hospital. I had had all the problems that have been written about and I am still getting pain from my knee and around the hip area. Back pain started around three weeks ago so can't understand what is going on there, think my body is compensating for my knee. It's a long hard road Julia, I can drive and go out for walks without a cane, but I am a long way off from my old self, and wonder will I ever be the same again? Take care and try to be patient, hard when you have a family to look after I know but you need some healing time my freind.
  • Posted

All your replies have helped loads. It's so nice to know it's not just me. I really appreciate all your advice and kind words. Going to try give myself a break and go with the flow. Do my exercises and ice as regular as possibly and just try get going. 

Thank you once again 

J x

• Posted

Stay with the forum.....we'll all be interested in your recovery and are here just to offer advice and encouragement when we can. I wish I had had a site like this 12 years ago. It would have been so very helpful.
  • Posted

hi julia ... as all of of us have said here, it is soooooo early days for you. i had just come out of rehab at 3 weeks and was a wreck. i couldn't lift my leg either, not an inch, until then but once i got back home, it progressed fairly quickly. this gave me hope. my swelling wasn't too bad but i also paid for some sessions of lymph massages which makes a dramatic difference to the swelling and i can only recommend this. i would also recommend taking arnica c200 which is homeopathic globuli with amazing healing effects when bruised and battered. i now wish i had taken these sooner as they have been a real help after having my leg mobilized as i never got past the 95 degree bend. the other thing many are raving about here is liotol gel which you need to order online as it has great anti-swelling properties. other than that, i can only recommend you keep on top of your pain med. my surgeon and i only got the cocktail right after 6 weeks and he only prescribed lyrica to me when i asked for it. this actually made a 10 degree difference in my bend over night! be smart, be informed and then be assertive and ask what you think you need and don't let him fob you off. it will pay off.

the most important lession i have learnt is patience. and by god i have had to learn the hard way! patience and listening to your body. if it hurts, rest. if you are tired, sleep. it is so important on the road to getting better.

hang in there and keep us posted on your improvements.

• Posted

.......and dear lady, you have mastered the art in a very short time

I know you are the better off for it. Keep it up.

• Posted

It is a slow and hard slog this TKR business, but you will get there in the end. I am now at 7 weeks and up until the last two weeks have found it really difficult and painful.  The swelling and tightness takes a long time to go.  It is only the last two weeks that I have actually slept in bed having spent most of my nights on the sofa as that was the only place I could get comfortable.  I only had two group physio sessions and with perservering with my exercises today have a bend of 110. Three weeks ago my leg was not straight enough and I had to do more extension exercises.  Thankfully this has sorted and I am now discharged from the physio even though they did not really do much for me.

You do need to take it easy you are still only three weeks in, I only started using one stick at 4 weeks and can go short distances without but prefer my stick if going into town or longish distances.  I only started driving on Tuesday but do not stray far from home. I manage without pain killers daytime but still need them at bedtime and to help me sleep plus some nytol to help me get off to sleep. Rest, ice and elevate as much as possible, it is hard not to feel a burden on others, I still have my ice cuff and use it as much as I can and also use it in the night as my knee gets hot with the duvet on.

Slowly but surely you will get there, dont despair, we all heal at different rates.

• Posted

Julia, it will get better, just takes time.  I am 5 months post surgery for knee replacement.  Im 67 years old.  It took 4 months before I went back to volunteering at school in 1st grade class.  I have more good days now.  I started to drive after I was off pain meds.  Getting out of the house will really help you feel better.  When you consider the muscles, nerves cut during surgery, it is going to take at least 8-9 months for healing.  So it's going to be stiff and hurt until the inside of knee gets used to the new knee.  Keep going, it will get better and better.  Merry Christmas too.
  • Posted

i remember that feeling , your early days , ice and chill out inbetween your exercises , with my 2nd i was driving at 4 weeks but that is early and back to work at 12 weeks , its a long road but well woth it in the end dont rush and take care 
  • Posted

I am at 8 weeks and I feel like the new knee doesn't belong there. I am at 130 degrees but I'm having a hard time bending my knee when walking. My scar always feels like it's going to rip open and it still constantly aches. I'm not on meds, never used crutches and drove after 4 weeks. I still have trouble sleeping, wake up at 3am everyday in agony. Not sure I made the right choice having this surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.