Struggling after a smear test

Posted , 3 users are following.

I finally got round to going for a smear test last week after ignoring several letters for a number of years. I knew it was important but I was just so afraid and anxious probably because I was sexually abused when I was younger.

Anyway, I went and unfortunately it didn't go smoothly, I was extremely anxious, it was very painful and my cervix was high so the doctor struggled to find it. But saying that, the doctor was very kind and supportive.

I thought I would now feel relieved that it is all over but I dont. In fact my emotions have been all over the place since. It seems to have stirred up feelings, emotions and behaviours from the past. I feel like I'm grasping at being in control so I dont want to eat, I think about hurting myself - all stuff I did in the past as a way of coping with stuff.

I'm a bit worried about myself but dont know what to do. I feel I need to talk about it but to who? Do I go back to the doctor or will she think I'm stupid? Has anybody else been through similar circumstances? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and how you must be feeling right now. I have never been in your situation but as a health care professional have an understanding of how intimate procedures can bring back horrors that have happened in the past - that many people feel they have dealt with or will no longer be a problem.

Its easy to advise what should have happened after an event - but in case anyone else may have the same worries and be putting of a smear test i would suggest you speak to the HCP who will be doing it first. I would discuss the reasons for anxiety with the woman prior to doing a smear, and it it was related to sexual buse organise counselling with an appropriately trained person prior to having the smear.

Louise as you have had your smear test done, it is important that you go back to the GP and discuss your feelings and ask for some help. Please don't let this cause you unnecessary distress and upset.

I hope you manage to get something sorted out. Take care.

• Posted

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and how you must be feeling right now. I have never been in your situation but as a health care professional have an understanding of how intimate procedures can bring back horrors that have happened in the past - that many people feel they have dealt with or will no longer be a problem.

Its easy to advise what should have happened after an event - but in case anyone else may have the same worries and be putting of a smear test i would suggest you speak to the HCP who will be doing it first. I would discuss the reasons for anxiety with the woman prior to doing a smear, and it it was related to sexual buse organise counselling with an appropriately trained person prior to having the smear.

Louise as you have had your smear test done, it is important that you go back to the GP and discuss your feelings and ask for some help. Please don't let this cause you unnecessary distress and upset.

I hope you manage to get something sorted out. Take care.

• Posted

Hi, just to say that I can empathise with what you are going through, having had a traumatic experience of a smear test myself. Perhaps you could go back to the doctor or a nurse and explain how you have been feeling? I don't think you should bottle things up, especially given the level of distress you are in. Don't think that you are the only woman who has had a bad experience of this. Sadly, the information the NHS provides implies that the test is no big deal, even thought there will be some women who, for whatever reason personal to them, find it traumatic. I hope this bad experience won't cause you to suffer long term. x
  • Posted

I know how you feel. I went to the doctors yesterday for a smear test and like you it was uncomfortable because my cervix was high and the nurse couldn't find it. It took three attempts to be able to eventually get it done. Also I had to have this test because my last one had abnormal cells but it didn't say that on my recall letter and now I'm terrified and confused about what it all means.
  • Posted

: :cry: :cry:

cry:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.