Struggling at night.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been taking 6 to 8 cocodamol 30/500 every day for the past 3 years, I have decided that I now need to stop even though I am in considerable pain from arthritis of neck and shoulder.

the last 5 days I have just been taking 2 each morning and although the arthritis is quite uncomfortable I have not been too bad with withdrawal symptoms except at night, I have not had a decent nights sleep for 5 nights, feeling agitated and legs aching, don't know how long this will last.

my plan is to carry on at 2 per day until the nights get better and then stop the day ones.

wish me luck.!

Anyone recommend an altenative painkiller for the arthritis, (unable to take ibuprofen etc.)

Michael

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely go and speak to your GP. 6-8 a day is the recommended dose and if you’re in considerable pain you shouldn’t really just stop taking them. 

There are other pain killers out there that have a bit more strength than paracetamol etc but they are mainly opiates and so can be addictive still just like codeine. 

Your GP can advise you on alternative pain relief better than me though. 

• Posted

thanks  for the reply and advice, have appointment with gp tomorrow.

still struggling at night.

thanks

michael.

• Posted

Always a pleasure, never a chore! At the risk of sounding corny, we’re all in this together! Magnesium does work at night and I read on other threads that bananas are good to munch on to ease the RLS!! I’m really struggling at night but thankfully am so knackered from work that I am sleeping a bit better than the last time I went cold turkey about 4 months ago! Keep up the hard work - it will be worth it in the end!
  • Posted

Hi Michael,

Well done to you for deciding to stop.

I decided a week ago ( forced to stop really, as our laws change Feb1st).

Tapering is what i decided to do as i take approx 30 15mg Codeine a day. Also can not take ibuprofen at all.

The legs are driving me mad as well as several other withdrawals symptoms & feels like it will never end BUT reading others stories how it does end keeps me hanging in there.

The intake now is under 50% of what was being taken ( 12 a day now) & the suffering lingers on, but cannot go on forever , right?

The injury i have that began all this is still painful so wheat bags, cold or heat rub creams/gels, i tape it up - anything that can help

Good luck, hang in there. We can do this

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, you really were on a massive dose at 30 per day, that would be like 15 30/500 tabs.

you have done so well to get down to 12, but I can imagine it really is hard.

but keep up the good work and you'll get there in the end .

im still struggling with night times.

best wishes

michael

• Posted

Buy some good quality magnesium tablets, have 3 half an hour before bed and the restless legs will ease up. Honestly, you’ll have the best sleep you’ve had in a long time. I don’t know the details of how they work but they do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.