Struggling at university

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently in my first term at university and I'm really struggling with my anxiety. I moved about 2 hours away from home to university so I could have a student experience, but my anxiety means I'm not getting that experience as I can't go on nights out in fear of suffering a panic attack.

I go home every weekend as I'm massively homesick and hate being in halls as they are not homely and I feel so alone. I've tried everything from speaking to student services for support (who are massively overstretched), to joining a sports team and going to the gym.

I really don't know what to do as I'm already taking propranolol, I've received cbt for nearly 5 years and I feel like I'm just getting worse. I really feel like my anxiety is going to cause me to drop out of university but I feel trapped here as I do not want to let my friends and family down and I don't feel like I would be able to cope with a job with how my anxiety is at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice of how to get my anxiety under control?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I too have been struggling with anxiety, social anxiety disorder to be exact. It was keeping me from meeting new people and having new experiences. When and where do you mostly get anxious and do you have any symptoms? When do you feel the least anxious? Try finding out when and where and you might find a pattern about your anxiety. You can also try to calm yourself down when anxious by focusing on your breathing and take some time for yourself to sit down and focus. Staying at home too much can also prevent you from conquering your anxiety. Try to go out somewhere relaxing and remember that your anxiety doesnt define you. I believe that you will be able to conquer it but make sure you have patience because anxiety doesnt go away in a day or a week. Its going to take some time but you have to remember that your anxiety doesnt control it, you control it.
    • Posted

When I'm busy and have things to be getting on with (i.e. in the day, my anxiety is generally lower) however, my main issues are with night time and sleep... I find my halls very claustrophobic and start to feel very lonely and my anxiety level rises. My symptoms include an increased breathing rate, tight chest and the inability to think of anything else or clear my mind and relax.

• Posted

Try going out and meet new people, might be hard if you're not very social but you have to overcome that obstacle. A pet can also help fill up that loneliness, pets really help. Have you discussed with your family about your anxiety?Talk with them or any close friends u may have, you're gonna need help to overcome your anxiety.

• Posted

Hi alicia 81671. Now i will try my best to help you . It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment bless you being home sick is one of the worst things i once suffered. Right sounds like you need to think whats right for you. You natrual instincts has kind of kicked in and left you thinking alot about things right two options come to my mind now you say cbt may of not worked i too never got on with cbt. It leaves the one question do you wish to start on medication there are plenty of them i recently started on a medication called valdoxan it is a very natrual medication that will help you sleep. Do you have any trouble sleeping? A lot of people are talking about this medication on the sites. Now for anxiety there is loads of help available but i truely feel when you natrual feelings take over it is that you shouldnt feel like your letting anone down. Take it from me your trying your best. To be honest meds can get you through it. Take it from me that valdaxan can work with many other medications. If you want any other advice just message me. I hope you get some advice from what i have written or something someone says. Yours sincerely leigh
  • Posted

Alicia try to get to the root of your problem...the anxiety is the result of it.  Likewise, I used to suffer from panic attacks years ago that came on suddenly and out of nowhere.  fortunately they were quick and brief so i would typically do my best and struggle through them if i was out in public, with my friends, etc...  they did get so bad at one point where it felt like i could walk or drive...felt dizzy and off balance.  anyway, i didn't let it take over my life and rather viewed them as an inconvenience and just dealt with them.  i eventually got to the point where i could just will them away mentally.  i did focus on trying to get good sleep and believe it or not...jogging 3 days a week if not more helped out quite a bit.  many times i'd push so hard while jogging because the fatigue and pain of jogging seemed to eliminate the anxiety and thought of panic attacks.  it's a little hard when you're gasping for air and have side-stitch to worry or feel anything else.  don't drop out of college or quit.  you need to put yourself in those uncomfortable situations, put up a fight.  continue on with your life...as horrible as panic attacks are and how they somehow make you believe you're dying as you're having them...eventually you realize that you're fine afterwards.  slowly i didn't fear them anymore and when they happened i'd get frustrated and would tell myself, "i don't have time for this right now, hurry up and let's get this over with..."  Again, don't avoid situations and just keep telling yourself it's just anxiety and that you're fine physically.  And stop worrying about your family and friends when it comes to expectations or disappointing them...you're just creating yourself more stress.  Remember at the root of anxiety and depression is worry...so work on not worrying so much.  Surely, you have hobbies or things you enjoy...try to focus on that, get some rest and if you're a caffeine fanatic...try to reduce your daily intake...caffeine and anxiety do not mix well.  gradually taper though...two cups of coffee daily...reduce to cup and a half for a week or two..then a cup etc...slow taper.  anyway, good luck...stop worrying because you'll be fine and do what's best for you don't worry about family and friend expectations.  

• Posted

Hello Alicia. There will naturally be people who disagree with me, but I'd like to offer you some advice. It's important not to have a fear of letting people down. When you're suffering from very bad anxiety, as you clearly are, the first priority should be on yourself and your own health. Try to manage as best you can in your current circumstances. Continue with the CBT and medication, maybe talk with your Dr about finding new medications or a new regimen that will help you more. Try to find social spaces where you feel safe and comfortable. But if you feel you need to go back home, do it. Don't let someone make you feel bad about doing what's best for you. In the long run your health is what matters. Please feel better my friend. I'll be thinking of you - good vibes! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.