Struggling...help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I was diagnosed for anemia about a month ago but didn't start taking my iron supplements until the beginning of this month so I have had just about a month of taking iron supplements. I take them 3 times a day and I am suppose to take them for 90 days....but I thought I was suppose to start feeling better? I feel so tired and fatigued all the time its starting to cut into a lot of my day and I hate it. I get panic attacks thinking I am gonna faint or something. I am about to start a new job and I don't wanna start my new job taking time off because of how I am feeling. Any of you know any good tricks to boost my energy?? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Anemia is hard. Getting extra sleep doesn't seem to help. Eat three healthy meals a day and nutritious snacks. Seems like most people with anemia have anxiety. I found that a mild non habit forming anti anxiety med to help. Stay positive.

• Posted

You need to have your hemoglobin checked. I ve been down to 4.1 and i was normal acting. They think my body adjusted, but the way your feeling your low. Go get it checked. Ive been dealing with this sense 2012 and ive had over 20 transfusions.
    • Posted

I wish I could get it checked but I don't have health insurance. I have to wait to start my new job and get pay stubs so I can go to the clinic

• Posted

First off what’s strength of pill, how many mg’s? It’s very important to eat more often in smaller quantities especially with pills. NEVER take them without eating, can cause stomach bleeding! Have u had any rectal bleeding yet? Try to eat foods high in iron. What’s ur hemoglobin level? Did doc say it’s ok to exercise? What caused ur anemia? Keep hydrated.
    • Posted

Okay so the Mg's on the pills are 65. When I went to the ER they never told me my levels. They just told me to start taking the iron pills and have a diet full of iron. The doc didn't really tell me much of what I can and can't do I have just been figuring it out on my own which has been having both good days and bad days. No I don't think I have any rectal bleeding just the normal iron poop if you know what I mean. I want to go see a doctor to further investigate this but with no health insurance its been tough. About to start a new job so hopefully when I get a few pay stubs I can go to a clinic.

• Posted

From here on out u must get print out of all blood work & anything/everything doc/lab discusses with u. Next time u get blood work & doc goes over it pay close attention to hemoglobin, ferritin, iron, & sodium. If sodium levels r high it can cause high blood pressure & along with low hemoglobin you’ll get heart palpitations! These will get worse if sodium rises, not good. Once u get insurance again ask ur doc if u can get IV iron transfusions to help boost ur hemoglobin levels.

• Posted

I will try. It might be a while before I can get insurance. But I am doing everything I can to make everything okay
  • Posted

I don't think there is short cut for your recovery. I suffered for almost 6 months and even more until I regain my physical strength. It's been one year and I still have mild anciety which started from very low iron and vitamin D in my body. One short cut to observe iron quickly into your body is taking vitamin c along with your iron suppliments. Also iron from meat is easily observable. Other than that eat lot of green vegetables and drink prune juice everyday. I pray that you get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.