Struggling just started on journey for gastric weight loss surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Finally got accepted for NHS weight loss surgery and had initial appointments . now been started on diet to follow which I'm finding so hard. it was originally 2 and half fortisips and day with a 400 cal meal and 200 cal snack. i couldn't handle the fortisips as they are so small and i was soooo hungry. so now on mostly food with one shake (one i found that was better) The problem is I'm still so hungry . im feeling like a Complete failure not had my first weigh in yet and i kbow its not going to be good. this is the first stage and I'm failing been told it will be 12 to 18 months before surgery. im not going to be able to do this for that long and if i could diet that easily i wouldnt need the surgery. i was really hoping for more support not just getting a diet sheet. is this the same for everyone . im with addenbrookes hospital. feeling so dispondent and dreading weigh in .

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

There will be struggles. If you were actually prepared for the surgery you have to just stay positive. I went through Gastric bypass (ruanY ) and it worked great. As it was designed it caused massive weight loss but it also comes with a lot of emotional ups and downs. The best thing anyone can do is get the mind right FIRST! food can be a devastating emotional crutch and it can be destructive to your efforts. In my experience the emotional struggles came AFTER my weight loss. Being denied surgery for skin removal and now dealing with a very emotional situation which i believe is a complete fail by the medical field and the insurance company's. There is a complete disconnect between the two groups who hold your emotional well being in their hands not taking into account the life long emotion turmoil that is involved in living with this handicap. By disregarding the actual damage done while living with this handicap, it makes post surgery treatment ,which i feel warrants an adjustment in policies. STAY STRONG.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.