Struggling to come to terms with genital herpes :(

Posted , 245 users are following.

I was diagnosed with herpes in April this yr and have had one recurrence since! I'm single and caught it from a guy I had a one night stand with ( stupid I know ) I'm really struggling to come to terms with having this! I feel embarrassed to talk to anyone about it so coming on here was an option! Maybe talking to ppl who also have this virus might help me deal with this!! At this moment I feel like my life is on hold and no one will want to have a relationship with me since I have it!!! Help!?!?!

29 likes, 278 replies

278 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Just found out I have herpes...I'm absolutely disgusted with myself, but I know it serves me right for getting so stupidly drunk and having unprotected sex. I hate myself so much and feel so disgusting. I never want to have sex again. I'm so angry.. I don't care about the statistics because I hate the fact if I ever get into a relationship again I'm gonna have to explain myself and no matter what anyone else says I will be judged by anyone who hasn't got it. I actually want to hurt myself so much right now. I can't speak to anyone about it. Now I'm gonna have this dirty little secret and I can't stand it.
    • Posted

woah woah woah take it easy there... You are the same person as you were before and there are gonna be people who will LOVE you. And there will be people who are immature if u ever disclose to them. So you will know off the bat those people don't deserve ur company time or love whoever they may be (friends, lovers). You don't have to tell your family because it's no ones business. So yes you will keep a little dirty secret but as time passes you will realize everything's going to be okay. People who have HIv, that's a real death sentence and I apologize to anyone who is reading and has HIV. I know if. I met someone who had it I wouldn't treat them any different but there aren't a lot of people like me in te world. AnywYs the way your attitude is about the whole situation is the way other people will have it. If you are upset and wNna hurt yourself not only will you scare people and make the virus sound more worse than it is but they just won't wanna be around a pero an with that kind of energy. I'm twin guy attitude counts. You cannot expect to get love if you don't give it. You need to start small and learn to l ow yourself again, do not live the rest of your life hating yourself because THAT is a death sentence, not the herpes. I dated someone who had GH. And his lack of self stem just killed the relationship. People wanna date people who are passionate for life and just amazing in all ways. This guy was completely the opposite it was so depressing. Guess what. Months later I have the same disease. Do I cry here and there? Sure. It takes time to come to terms because you know chances are people will react negatively and especially family... Oh boy but I refuse to let it take over my life. It's a damn skin condition. The only part that really terrifies me is future pregnancy and the pain I keep reading about. That sounds friggin scary and I'm praying to God thanking him it has not come to that with me ... Yet. Oh my god can't even imagine . But anyways point is I'm not trying to say there is a silver lining because truthfully ivory wants this but notice if u ever read a forum about GH and someone sounds so negative about their dating life ... U will notice how immediately turned off you get. And if you ever read those stories about .. I told my partner and he said I was worth the risk stories or even he had herpes too stories it really brightens your day and changes your perspective. It is easier to feel sorry for yourself. It's harder to be the one person in the forum tHat completely changes everyone's perspective about the disease. In fact in other countries GH is not considered an sTD so lol to that. Anyways please take what I said into consideration :-) hope u can survive this temporary feeling of bad self worth and change your perspective around smile find new passions and meanings in life ! I am a student in college and I tell myself, GH isn't gonna stop me from becoming an accountant.

Emis Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to the swearing. These are open forums so as per the T&Cs please do not use offensive language in posts otherwise they may be deleted.

• Posted

You. Go. Girl. Reading this made me feel SO MUCH better. You're completely right. Thank you for being the strength some of us need.
    • Posted

Wow, reading this gives me hope that I will feel better. I was diagnosed with herpes type 1 yesterday and I'm feeling so depressed. My husband left me and I fell like I'm always going to be alone.

I have faith that I will overcome my depression and learn to live with it.

• Posted

I wish I could actually feel relaxed by what you're writing here.

I've been diagnosed three days ago. Got it from my fiancé, who didn't know he has it.

Feels like the end of the world

Cannot stop crying and both him and my best friend, which I told to, just don't have any idea what am I going through, thinking me crying about it is an over reaction and I just feel so miserable.

It's disgusting and painful and I can't even sit. Have been lying about the reason I'm not seeing anyone or leaving the house. I just really can't believe I actually have it

I've been always protected with other guys

So now getting it from him makes me feel anger towards him even though I know he would do anything to undo it

But he can't

And I feel so sad and angry and powerless

• Posted

When I told him the symptoms he basically stop talking to me without knowing the results.

We are having problems and I'm pretty sure once I tell him that I have hsv 1 he is definitely going to leave me 😔

I don't even know how to tell him

• Posted

I was jus diagnosed last week & this is the best response that i have read period. Thank u😌
    • Posted

Look on the bright side...at least you have a fiancé with whom you can share this. Think of all of us single people trying to figure out if we will ever have a relationship because generally speaking, people are not very open, understanding or receptive to you telling them; oh yea, by the way, I have genital herpes. Can you say "hell naw".

I don't want to minimize your anguish, I get it, but if you love him, hold on to that. He didn't expose you intentionally. I just wanted you to see the flip side and know that you are already in a better place than most of us and besides, none of your emotions will change your reality. Trust me

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!!

• Posted

Totally understand that! It's so sh*t and I got it from my ex who had cheated on me not from my current partner! And I had just started seeing him and had to do the awful telling the person I was seeing and he was accepting! So I'm trying to say that there is hope, but I understand it is hard as well and I'm so sorry that others have to deal with that as well sad

And I do love him and won't be letting him go!

You will find someone as well <3 >

• Posted

Thank you Ashrose for the optimism. Im glad you know you need to hold on to your man. 😜
    • Posted

Omg your husband left you because of herpes? Could he not be a carrier? He's obviously not worth jack sh*t. I've just been diagnosed after 30 years married. Wtf! He's being sympathetic but adamant he hasn't slept around. I don't know how to move forward yet but I will find a way.
    • Posted

Well said! You made alot of people feel better and i agree with you, but it takes abit more strength to get over it. If only theres more people like you on this web. smile

• Posted

What a lovely positive reply...I was having a down day as currently on week two of first OB...thanks for you inspirationbiggrin)x

• Posted

Your partner needs to be suportive, and if he isn't, it might be better if he leaves. I am thinking of leaving my husband of 20 years for that very reason. I had sex with him, after 2 years of not having sex with him, and 2 days later I get the worst outbreak... first outbreak ever. He had the nerve to say where did you get it as if I had an affair. After reading posts most outbreaks occur after 2 days... and although a person can have a latent infection, I haven't read anything about anyone having a latent infection for 20 years before their initial outbreak. I at least have a supportive daughter and sister to help me get through this emotionally... my husband is completly blaming me and is giving me no support. So, you might be circumventing years of mysery. I hope you find the support you need, good luck. smile

• Posted

Hey Lou. I'm going through the same situation right now. I just found out, and would love to talk with you.

• Posted

wow i really admire your positivity and the outlook you have. Very pleasant and you are so right. very uplifting point of view God bless 
    • Posted

I know where you are coming from. My dad is disappointed in me. He hates me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.