Struggling to cope

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm struggling like really struggling, and I apologise now for the very long post but I just, I can't cope!!

Rewind to Christmas eve and my boyfriend is ill with a sickness bug and then he perforated both of his ear drums about a week or so later and was pretty much deaf. In Early Jan he was still having issues with his ears leaking so was put on antibiotics. Couple days later he then got an infection on his finger near the cuticle, so antibiotics again. Anyway he was fine for about a week or so and then he had rectal bleeding, he freaked out googled and came to the conclusion that he has cancer so he went to the doctors who said he has piles and was given cream,he wasn't convinced so then went to A&E 2 days in a row because he wasn't convinced that it was piles. A week later he goes back to the GP who said the piles had gone but he still had blood when going to the toilet, but doctor said he probably just has piles higher up or a fissure. Again he wasn't convinced and took himself to A&E with the view that he has anal or bowel cancer. They stressed loads that he hasn't got either but to go back to his GP, so off he went who could tell he was extremely anxious felt and said no piles and highly unlikely to be cancer but he requested bloods and a poo sample to be done. Both of these tests were done and the bloods came back completely fine and the poo test came back as suspected IBD but the test needs repeating. Again he is still convinced he has cancer. He has seen a number of doctors been to A&E loads more times who did his CRP and it's perfectly normal and they again said he hasn't got cancer, but they suggested an endoscopy from GP. We went to the GP yesterday and I went with him as I wanted to mention his anxiety and how bad it has got. She stressed again that he has not got cancer but knows blood in poo can be worrying but all his tests have come back fine,so he is fine in regards to not having cancer. However, get home and he is still googling and adament he has cancer and now today he is saying he has itchy spots on his body, he doesn't have any none that I can see or feel. He's adament that he's got cancer and that it's spread. This is getting beyond frustrating now it's affecting my mental health and our relationship. He was on antidepressants many years ago but never took them properly and just gave up, but I just can't do this anymore. We have a 3 year old daughter who thinks that every time Daddy leaves that he is going to the doctor, yet he never usually goes to the doctors for anything. It has just got so bad. I mentioned to the GP yesterday that his anxiety is crazy and that he used to be on antidepressants but she just ignored me. I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

it sounds like your partner has health anxiety , I have this and it is awful to live with. like your partner I spend many hours googling my symptoms, and then more symptoms will appear (anxiety can cause this )

with regards to the itching , anxiety can 100% cause itching, as I have related this to many illnesses I think I have had . turns out each time its anxiety

your husbands bleeding sounds something similar to what my husband had last year . he was some bad food poisoning, which led to bleeding down below, i was freaking out thinking he had cancer etc. he was even admitted to hospital. the bleeding turned out to be a small tear inside from when he was going to the toilet so much. for weeks after his stomach was off and he was bad bowls (i was still convinced he had something serious wrong) but he is just fine

I hope your husband can get the help he needs , and hopefully this story may reassure him that he is most likely fine .

its easier said than done, as I'm always convinced I have something wrong, but we really should have faith in our doctors.

• Posted

I'm so sorry..... It is really tough being with someone has anxiety. My spouse has severe anxiety and refuses any antidepressants or counseling. He has been dealing with clogged ears and headaches for almost a year and has visited many doctors and has had several tests plus meds for it too. Nothing has helped but I have noticed it's alot worse when he is anxious and stressed. He will not listen to me so I need to take care of myself and kids.I would get him to see a therapist because no matter how much you comfort them, they will think there is something wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.