Struggling to cope with Mirtazapine withdrawel?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on mirtzapine for over 2 years now and its not helped my depression or anxiety, and most of all... my sleep. The doctor made out like it was a godly drug at the time and it would make me sleep. Well its not worked and I've been constantly returning to the doctors, trying sleep hygiene and everything you could possibly think of, but its not helped my sleeping. The only time I feel truly asleep is when I get ridiculously drunk and pass out. I know this is bad, but I get so exhausted throughout the week that getting drunk and passing out feels like the only "real" sleep I get. I truly feel at my best with a hangover, "but at least I've managed to sleep!" is what I think to myself...

Don't get me wrong, whilst I was on the Mirtazapine the initial falling to sleep was a matter of when my head touched the pillow. I fell asleep instantly. Yet I woke up within hours and I'd find myself waking up all night, going to the toilet and only really getting light/unrestful sleep. 

I know everyone dreams, but I literally remember about 4 dreams a night. They are so vivid. I can wake up, go to the toilet and go straight back into the same dream. Its like my brain never shuts off! So then I finally get up in the morning feeling extremely unrested. I have sore baggy eyes, no energy whatsoever and I just spend my day in self pity. 

I am currently coming off the tablets and the situation has only gotten worse sad I don't know how but the sleeping is even worse than it was! I'm currently taking 7.5mg Mirtazapine to gradually get off it, and I can only think the worse insomnia is due to withdrawel? I don't know what to do with myself. I honestly feel mentally disabled. I'm young aged 21 and should be focused on my career, getting a girlfriend and all that nice stuff, but I cannot cope with any job I get because of this issue. Its just ruining my life... sad I've tried to look up my condition and the best answer I get is Narcolepsy, because I go straight into REM dream sleep as soon as I fall. Has anyone got any advise? I don't want to believe I have Narcalepsy because that sounds like it'll be something I have to put up with my entire life and its getting me incredibly depressed and down. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you're trying to get off Mirtazapine, and like you say above Mirt' didn't really help you - all I can do is to offer advise of how to taper.  Click and my name and follow the links under my status.

Yes to your question above, the worsening insomnia is probably due to the discontinuation.  Mirtazapine, as you probably know, contains a heavy sedative which lasts pretty much 24/7, so making you feel tired all day.  Narcolepsy is different to this as it makes you fall asleep without warning, having no control of it.

Mirt is also known for the dreams you describe - we're all different, some people find these weird and yet wonderful.

I was on Mirt for near 2 years, did a very slow taper off to enable the brain to rewire ... it takes time, don't rush, and any symptoms you have along the way is probably due to the withdrawal and not any old symptoms returning.

Wishing you well Beezwax.

• Posted

what dose did you take  im on 45mg   month 2  dont seem to help with sleep
  • Posted

Hi Beeswax, i came off mirt cold turkey and it was hell at first for a couple of months then gradually got better. Panic attacks, an hours sleep here and there, really bad anxiety and the like. It does take time for your system to get back to its old self. As for sleep i tried calms a herbal sleep aid that worked for me. It will take time as many of us know, you are not the only one to travel the mirt road,

I hope you can take comfort from that. Getting to sleep for me was hell but i did find it again ? All the best and god's speed.

• Posted

which did you find best for sleep mirt or calms herbal
    • Posted

Mirt helped alot, but too much, felt wierd and crappy during the day. Calms are ok!
  • Posted

im on mirt 45mg second month started dec on 15mg   didnt find any made be sleep

• Posted

The fact that you had no difficulty falling asleep indicates that the mirt was working.  I think 7.5mg will continue that. Your current problem is probably due to withdrawal and will get better. 

You say you awake feeling unrested.   I take 7.5mg of mirt and would feel the same if I got only 8 hours sleep.   I find that I need far more sleep because of the mirt; say 10 hours.    I can get that because I am retired.  Unfortunately that is more difficult for you. I too wake up several times a night - but I have no difficulty falling back to sleep.  

The vivid dreams are a well-known side effect of mirt. I found that they became less vivid after a while (on low dose of mirt). 

You sound as if you might be drinking alcohol a lot.  If so you should be aware that alcohol interacts with mirt (I think - please check).      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.