Struggling to eat at work

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

For the 3rd day in a row I haven't eaten lunch at work barley a packet of crisps as my throat is closing up or feels like it and I start to panic and feel food will make it worse

I am starving and then won't eat until I get home and by then I am ravenous but I will still only eat a smallish amount. Reason is twice at work I have had a panic attack shortly after food and it's having a severe impact

Not sure what to do?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The feeling of the throat closing or a lump in the throat is very common with anxiety in general. If you haven't already then maybe talking to your doctor about ways to deal with your anxiety, either medication or therapy - whichever suits u best
    • Posted

I think I may go back and see the doctor as they refered me for phone councelling and so far it's taking ages and they can't offer me CBT until end of Feb but I need more in the meantime as I need to eat and cannot combat the feeling myself

It's enough to bring on an attack which I am very afraid of

• Posted

I'm the same, I associated a lot of bad feelings with food, and a lot of anxiety with it. Now I do eat. But feel the anxiety and problems with a closing throat or a constant lump are still bothersome for me. These things do get out of hand quickly, ask the doc to refer u to psychotherapy quickly, it can be done. They will help pick the right therapy, CBT isn't the only option , In fact CBT was rubbish for me, I found other therapies more useful
  • Posted

i feel for you i had the same thing i was at my little brothers birthday party i was trying to eat but my throat was closing up and also started having the fear of breathing in drink and drowning so i had a habbit of holding my breathe while i drank which resulted in me gasping half way through .

i noticed food was bringing panic attacks on i suppose it happends once and we relate it too it the next time do you maybe think its something your eating or drinking i have really bad anxiety off coffee i can not drink it even though i love it also anything warm my throat seems to feel its closing up i dont know why its mainly hot /warm drinks that cause it i also noticed after eating garlic or chinese food i would become really anxiouse which would bring on a severe panic attack .

also maybe try eating somewhere else where your alone you need to re train your self taking small steps its the only way i got eating again i have lost massive amount of weight i weight 8.6 stone now and i dont like it one bit im trying my best to put a little bit on so maybe thats what helped me setting myself to think about something else while im eating ? 

• Posted

Thanks hun, yes it has happened twice now and anytime I eat I am constantly aware of any physical symptoms or I find certain foods are affecting me more.

I don't seem to have the issue as much at home as it has happened at work so I need to try and find a way to work around it but it's not easy atall

xx

• Posted

it wont be easy i dont even know fully how i got out of doing it i still sometimes hold my breathe while drinking and think what are you doing !

lol but you will find a way im sorry i cant tell you what fully helped me but something will come along that makes you forget about it just give it time x

• Posted

Thanks hun, I'm glad it has got better for you smile

I will keep trying, probably that I need to re train my brain but will find and keep to safety foods whilst at work to make things easier

Let's hope once we are over that bit it stays away. I like my food to much! x

• Posted

im the same ! food is too good !

but they is away around it just got to find whats best for you .

i hope it gets better for you and remeber even though your fearing another panic attack its only a panic attack i know that sounds crazy but it cant hurt you even though its embarssing and feels like it can it what i have to think to myself  , and even though it feels your throat is closing up remember its your body  playing tricks on you your in control its your body you control it not anxiety 

hope you have a better dinner next time x

• Posted

Try to relax and forget the past. The fear of a panic attack is what most likely will bring you the next one. 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. What you have is called globus sensation. I used to get it all the time. I notice I get it more when my breathing is off.

I copied the following off of a website: In many people, stress can trigger globus sensation or make the symptoms worse; so can being very tired. Smoking and having an excess of mucus running from the nose down into the back of the throat (known as postnasal drip) may also make the symptoms of globus sensation worse.

It's definitely caused by anxiety. I think it can happen with acid reflux, too. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Hi

Thank you, have never heard of this before so will look it up

Did you find a way to overcome it? Is it more when you learn to control the anxiety and breathing that it becomes easier?

I am trying to think postivie and think well if I can eat okay and home why not at work but it's like a mental block I can't quite escape

I suffer from bad acid reflux too which I am sure will have an impact as it can feel I have excess mucus in the back of the throat x

• Posted

Hi Sarah. Acid reflux can cause the feeling of having a lump in your throat. I'm not sure if this will help you out, but at least you can check into it. People with acid reflux often have a hiatal hernia. There is lots of information about the link between panic and a hiatal hernia. It can cause shallow breathing, which leads to hyperventilation, which leads to panic and anxiety attacks. Do some research first, though, because doctors like to promote surgery. Sometimes it's easily managed with diet and often times a chiropractic adjustment. A good chiropractor will show you how to do the adjustment yourself. That's what I did. Changing your breathing will definitely help you relax, which will eliminate the feeling of having a lump in your throat. What I did to start out was to lie down on a solid surface and place a book on my stomach. When you breathe in and out, make sure the book moves up and down, and not your chest. Practice often so it becomes second nature. Notice your breathing when you get stressed (it will be shallow and your shoulders will likely move as you breathe) and then change it by breathing the way you practiced. Hope this helps in some way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.