Struggling to manage PCOS and binge eating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm 22 and got diagnosed with PCOS 10 months ago, I wasnt too phased by it and thought it wouldnt affect me much but oh was I WRONG!!! I am the heaviest weight I have ever been. I've suffered with binge eating for years after a very restrictive diet and starving myself. it used to be a lot easier to lose weight when i gained a few pounds but now it seems near impossible. knowing how much I've gained makes me feel horrible, I hate my body and the amount of stretch marks that have developed is really upsetting me, half my clothes don't fit anymore and I have to make sure my stretch marks are hidden. My stomach area is where all my fat seems to be storing which I'm guessing is the case for a lot of women with PCOS. no matter how hard I try the number on the scale doesnt go down if anything it goes up, I've tried really hard these past 2 months and have been to the gym 4 times a week consistently, lifting weights and doing cardio, yet still the number on the scale has gone up even though people tell me I've lost weight physically. Because of the excess weight I also have sleep apnea so i'm exhausted every day which makes me more likely to binge and the PCOS just makes it all 10 times worse due to my hormones and emotions being all over the place. I only get a period every 2-3 months and I get PMS symptoms for about 3 weeks until my period comes. during that time I am hungry ALL the time no matter how much / what I eat - i'm currently going through this which is ruining all my hard work from the last 2 months. I know losing weight will improve everything and I probably should tackle the binge eating first but its been 5 years and I still dont know how, when I went to the doctor in 2016 for binge eating he said 'what do you want me to do about it' which made me feel like i was overreacting and put me off seeking medical help for it. I'm stuck in a cycle that i'm desperate to get out of. I would appreciate any tips, thank you in advance xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Get some help for your binge eating, you need to go to a psychologist because it is an eating disorder which can make you very unwell.

What may help you is metformin, it evens out your blood sugar levels and stops you feeling so hungry and helps treat the symptoms of pcos.

Ideally you need to eat a low gi diet, giving up sugar, alcohol and dairy because they effect you hormones. But if you have a problem with binging, you may be unlikely to be able to stick to a healthy diet without getting help first. Metformin may help you with sugar cravings though.

80% of weight loss is through diet and 20% is through exercise, so if you are eating more calories than you are burning, you will still put on weight. Eating sugar and drinking alcohol are the biggest contributers to weight gain with pcos though.

I put on 2 and a half stone in the space of 5 months on an ssri antidepressant called paroxetine because it raises your insulin levels. Be careful with certain medications if they affect your blood sugar levels. Always read labels of medicines and herbal tablets.

Good luck, I hope you get the help you need and don't give up hope, you can change your life around. You just need to believe in yourself.

• Posted

I've now made a doctors appointment to see if I can get a referral to a psychologist, clearly I can't overcome it on my own and i'll also have a look into Metformin, thank you so much! x

• Posted

Get a naturopath, it is expensive but your health is worth it. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19 after not having my period for a year. I am 21 now and feeeeel your pain. Not only with the struggle of weight loss but with s****y western doctors. I did all my own research and had to force my physicians to run tests which there response was 'why what will you get out of a diagnosis'. I am insulin resistant and when my tests came back flagged because I was in the prediabetic level they made no effort to contact me I had to set up my own appointments to which they said 'why are you here what do you want me to tell you' followed by a phone call from a psychiatrist because apparently I am delusional for caring about my health when all I was requesting was an appointment with a dietitian. I then did my own research to get on metformin emailed my doctor and took metformin for two years without ever having my blood sugar tested. Long story short western medicine should be left for acute things not chronic problems like PCOS. I have always been a thin healthy person until PCOS consumed my life but slowly over the last few years I have improved my physical and emotional health through lots of research and acceptance. I work out 5-6 days a week which I have done for three years now (weight lifting mostly) I eat low carb and follow a Mediterranean/ paleo diet with no soy, gluten, or dairy. I unfortunately have lost basically no weight but I have definitely added muscle so much of my fat has turned to muscle. I know this is the last thing you want to hear because weight might be all that matters to you right not I know it was for me until recently. I restricted my calories severely for three years eating about 800 - 1200 calories and working out twice daily. But this only made me feel more deprived and led me to binging. Now that I do not restrict my calories and focus more on staying clean and entirely away from gluten, soy, and dairy rather than low carb my cravings have almost entirely gone away and I no longer cheer myself on the longer I can stay hungry without eating. There is hope at the end of the tunnel but you will endure struggle and metal and physical challenges on the way there. Do research, listen to your body (it is NOT just calories in calories out), remember this process is slow, and find a naturopath.

• Posted

Don't be afraid of calories. And try natural remedies that will be long term rather than metformin it is a band aid trust me. I took it for two years and saw zero benefits. In three months of being with a naturopath I have have made more progress than the last two years- sorry more rants based on others comments.

• Posted

I'm so glad you were able to improve your health, doctors can be terrible sometimes! I'll definitely do some research and I definitely need to take the no gluten, soy and dairy thing more seriously but I have been trying to do it. Lol I can really relate to cheering myself on for not eating when I'm absolutely starving! Thank you for your help 😃 x

• Posted

A naturopath is not a medically trained doctor and there is no scientific evidence to back up what they say. So anyone could claim to be one and you could waste a lot of money and time on this. Look up naturopathy on wikipedia.

Metformin isn't for everyone and if you want to see someone who is medically qualified to deal with PCOS you should see an endocrinologist. They can give you can get a glucose tolerance test to see if you are insulin resistant, they will also tell you what foods and drinks will help and hinder you. As I mentioned before a low gi diet is what is usually recommended.

I have lost weight by giving up sugar and alcohol without even exercising. It does work, but it is hard if you have a problem with binging, which is why it is so important to get help with this.

• Posted

Naturopaths are medically trained doctors they take extra courses on top of getting their MD and base all of their treatment methods on peer reviewed creditable research studies. Please do not miss inform people if you do not know what you are talking about regarding the credibility of holistic doctors.

• Posted

I am just going by what wikipedia says and having looked at local naturopaths in my area, none of them have letters after their name which I am sure they would make public if they had medical qualifications. I am sure some naturopaths believe in what they are practicing, but as there is no scientific evidence printed about it to prove it works, it is an area which some people can take advantage of vulnerable ill people like cancer sufferers. The placebo effect can work for certain symptoms, but it can't change your hormones or cure cancer.

As you haven't managed to lose weight with your naturopath, that suggests that whatever they are doing isn't working. Weight lifting without cardio won't help you lose weight. Maybe try hiit training and give up sugar and alcohol (if you drink).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.