Struggling with bend following revision surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a revision TKR almost 4 weeks ago. This was to replace my initial prosthesis from 18 months ago. Although this was perfectly fitted, I could not bend or straighten the leg due to poor ligaments and some scar tissue. I have had ligaments stripped out and now have a long stemmed implant with hinges in place of ligaments. The upside is my leg will now straighten for the first time in years. The bend is another story - it currently sticks at approx 60 degrees.

I am terrified of having to go through any more procedures, I had complications this time and I don't feel up to anything else.

I currently see a physio twice a week and following a detailed exercise plan. I know all the exercises to do and have varying success with these....today though I feel like I have a lump of concrete in it.

I just wanted to know if anyone had struggled with their bend, when/did it improve? What exercise did you find helped the most? (I seem to spend half of my day sliding back and fourth).

After years of limited movement I would be thrilled with 90 degrees so I can ride my bike again.

Appreciate your views x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am 3 weeks post op and I too am stuck at 65 degrees. I don't know if this is normal or not but I must say I expected more at this point. I my knee is also like cement which is very restrictive when it comes to bending. I wish I could be helpful but am kind of in the same boat with the same questions

• Posted

Thanks Lisa. It's a comfort to know I'm not the only one. This one feels so much better than my last one so I suppose I'm probably expecting too much. I'm just having one of those days. I have physio again tomorrow and I set myself a target last week that I still can't achieve so I just feel a bit like a failure (my target was to rotate all the way round backwards on the exercise bike).

I think it's a blessing and a curse that I've been through this before.

Keep in touch and we can keep each other going x

• Posted

T :smile Dr ed have been a couple of people on here that have gone through the same process you are working on. Seems you have hit a standard point of recovery. I'm on my 3rd prosthesis but still have the ligaments and my own knee cap.I think that you are expecting too much too soon. Just keep working on the basics.....dont overdo it and wear yourself out.....hydrate almost to the excess. Dehydration causes all the soft tissue to dry up and slows down the bend. Take meds as prescribed and do all the other "right things". 6 weeks should be your 11st benchmark.....not a month. You'll see it suddenly move to the next phase. Keep talking....we're all still here to help when w e can

• Posted

Thank you your reply helps a lot. I normally drink a lot of water but I've not been drinking as much lately so I definitely need to increase that.

I do think I'm probably being too hard on myself. With having had this done before I have something to compare it too - this time generally feels so much better, more comfortable and less pain. I should be grateful. I just want this to be my last surgery for a while, 4 in 18 months has taken its toll.

I do think I need to work in more rest for my leg. I am constantly doing physio or even just stretching it, desperately trying to get it to work...I have my leg up now, with ice and a glass of water!!

X

• Posted

I know what you mean. I had 6 between Jan 2013 to June 2015. In march '15 they had to remove the prosthesis completely for 4 months and infuse antibiotics 2 x's daily for 8 weeks. I was in a no bend immobilizer with 25% weight bearing. Then re immobilized for another month when the 3rd prosthesis was installed. I sort of feel like a car must when a new front end is installed.

• Posted

I have a similar prosthesis put in with my revision - a hinged one to replace withered ligaments ( mine was put in wrong 1st time around!). My revision is now 9 months old - I've had weeks when I thought it was wonderful, & weeks when I seem to go backwards - BUT - it does now bend very well, I walk miles, but drink loads - I never knew how important the hydration was until I had the TKR's. I've just come home from another walking break, I stayed there 4 months ago, & have to climb a ladder to go to bed - I really, really noticed the difference. I could also get onto the beach & sit down easily, I still had to turn over & go on all 4's to get up - but....I really see progress - & so will you. When they say it takes time, it really does take time!

• Posted

Thanks Veronica. It's good to hear from someone who's had a similar prosthesis. I think I'm just having one of those backward weeks. It's comforting to hear that yours has come right now though. I have a physio session this afternoon so just trying to gently warm it up. I've done my regular walk round the block and now working on my stretching. Trying to incorporate more rest time now too to see if that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.