Struggling with Codine Withdraws

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone, my name is Tina and I am happy to have stumbled across this forum from googling withdraw symptoms from Codine.  I have quit cold turkey three weeks ago and was on these tablets for over twenty years. I started off taking only a few pills a day until over time it grew to more and more finally ending up taking as much as 20-30 pills a day for the last years of my addiction. Three weeks later and I am still struggling with severe diarrhea and haven’t had a solid bowel moment. I have tried Imodium and drinking lots of water and also have adopted a healthy eating lifestyle. I’m guessing since I have taken so many pills for such a long time that this is the reason for such pro-longed diarrhea to help rid all the toxins in my body, has anyone experienced this? If so for how long? 

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina, 

Unfortunately the  diarrhoea can and will last for a month or so, I know it’s not fun but it’s a side effect from the drugs. It will get better, I found getting on to multivitamin eating health and exercise has been fantastic in helping me recover! It’s been 38 days since I gave up cold turkey and I have t looked back it wasn’t easy but worth it stick to it and just accept the process your body has to go through in order to be drug free. 

Hope your doing ok 

Neena 

• Posted

Thanks Neena!! Very helpful information and I just bought myself vitamins and exercise is also on my agenda. 38 days for you is amazing! It’s also nice to chat with others who understand the daily struggle of this addiction and the withdraw symptoms. I do feel 80% better than I did a week ago and I know I never want to go back to taking pills to feel numb. My focus is to find healthy things I can get excited about!! Thanks again for your advice.
  • Posted

Omg Tina/Neena. I'm so glad you have both posted.

I've been codeiene free for 18 days.

I still have RLS but am managing with meds and heat pack BUT the diarrhea is still last lingering. At least twice a day. Managing also with immodium and just want it to stop.....I guess I’ve still got a while until this ends!!!! 

• Posted

Hi Tina congratulations for having done so well and come this far. Things will improve if they haven't already. You need remember that you were feeding yourself an opiate to which your body adjusted. Consequently as your body recovers to a more natural state symptoms arise. I'm sure by now the physical symptoms have lessened and, if my experience is anything to go by, you will be getting psychological cravings. We just need to remember the hell of our addiction - the lack of feeling, the surgical removal of emotion and the distance of our reality to anything like "normal" life - to realise that a codein free existence is so much better than what we had previously experienced. For myself I have to remember that just one  codeine tablet will take me back to that hell. Congratulations and keep on doing - the right thing for recovery. jH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.