Struggling with deciding to waiting while adjusting to the medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I am confronted with making a difficult decision about work at the moment. I recently got a new job which I am super thankful for. While this in its self is not a problem, it is my recently 2 months starting back taking celexa. Initially, I started at 5mg then went up to 10mg. Ive been at 10 mg for the last 2 months. Last week I felt like I was doing pretty good. Then this week, as stressors started picking up at the job, I started to feel extremely anxious. I feel extremely discouraged and scared. Dry mouth, depersonilization , upset stomach, feelings of uneasiness. I have an appointment with psych MD on Tuesday. Not sure what to do.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

stick with it . 2 months is still very early. it takes many months for your body to adjust . each time you change dose or brand you basically start the clock over. give a dose or brand minimum of 6 months or longer. you will gradually get better. personally i started noticing feeling a little better around 3 month mark. try not to put a time line on recovery . it will gradually happen. some drs will say you need to change dose or brand by such and such time weeks or so. but you have to be very patient with ssris. it took a long time to develop this stress anxiety so it will take long time to heal. alot of folks will chase a fast recover going to dr changing dose and brand round and round this can prolong recovery. if you can stand the start up side effects and are able to function at work etc then try and give it plenty of time. we have been where you are !! recovery will come to you!!

• Posted

Hi Brian,

I totally agree. Im trying to remain optimistic about the medication and recovery. Like many have said in this site, we want recovery and we want it fast. In taking in this new job (healthcare provider), is demanding. Slightly worried, with medication adjusting and all that i can handle it.

Not putting a timeline on recovery as you said is key. Must remain patient.

Planning to tough it out on 10 mg a bit longer. I dont think Im up for the changing doses side effects.

Thank you, thank you for your wise and kind words!!!

• Posted

it might be just a blip. however 20mg is the therapeutic dose that works for most people although some recover on 10mg. 2 months is still early though. sometimes anxiety hits you out of nowhere probably getting a new job triggered it and now you thinking anxious thoughts about anxiety and what ifs i know that feeling all too well..

• Posted

Hi Lala,

Right! The what ifs can feel so real at times. The start up of increasing the dose s/e are horrendous, which is why I'm patiently waiting on 10mg. Also, think I'm slightly triggered by the work environment. Working w patients who have a ton of pysch issues. I see pysch MD tomorrow.

Thank you for the feed back; it really helps 😃.

• Posted

Were side effects bad going from 5 to 10? I am at 10 for 4 weeks and am suppose to increase to 15 but my anxiety is already through the roof.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.