Struggling with depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

At university and struggling as everyone is having such a good time and feel like I'm not completely part of that. Feel like I'm missing home and don't feel like I completely belong here. Anyone have similar experiences they can share and any tips going forward? Any replies would be massively appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Its very hard when you are missing home.

Are you far from your parents?

Could you go home for the weekend?

Are you coping at Uni?

I understand when you say you don't feel like

you belong.

I am originally from a big city and when I met my husband I moved to a small city that doesn't take to

people who were not born here.

I don't belong here but neither would I feel at home in the big city again after living in the small city where the air is fresher and surrounded by hills.

It took me twelve months to settle, some if that include my marriage breakup.

Could you speak to a counsellor ob campus?

It does help to talk to someone face to face.

If you can go home fir a weekend it may help.

Do you have any friends in campus? Do they know how you feel.

Keep in touch.

Linda x

• Posted

University is a really tough time and it often looks like everyone is back a great time but I can assure you there are lots of people who are struggling. 

I have been to university twice. The first time was awful and I didn't get involved in anything and ended up dropping out. 

The second time was much better as I saw it as an opportunity to try out new things. I was president of a society. I went horse riding and played polo. I wasn't happy all of the time and I worried about lots of things as well as being really ill with an underactive thyroid and not knowing what was wrong for about 6 months. 

How are you finding your course? 

I would definitely make the most of being able to access a counsellor on campus. 

Small steps. 

Take care. 

• Posted

Believe me you might think everyone is having a great time but many are putting on a brave face and a front.  I didn't go away from home I did my degree locally but in my late 40's it was harder than I ever imagined with assignment deadlines and not knowing anyone.

I would agree it would be good to talk to a campus counsellor, my daughter went away to another city and only stook in for 8 weeks living away from home but she then commuted everyday.  You're not on your own many others really do feel as your are feeling.

• Posted

there are a lot of people like you and I should look around and talk to people about how they are coping.  I am sure that you will find the same thoughts from others.

richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.