Struggling with eye contact?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well i've always been kinda insecure in my life and anxiety worsened over the years, i had some eye contact problems but i've always learned to manage it and figure myself out of it. I'm a high school senior now and i'm having some serious problem with eye contact weirdly? It's most of all happening while in the classroom! i'm getting really anxious looking at the teacher in the eyes when listening while he or she is talking to students. Well naturally i shouldn't have this fear or anxiety and not think about it. But i'm reaallyy having a bad time doing so especially with certain teachers. I need serious help. Why is this happening and what should i do?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Jennifer

I have this problem too! I'm generally a very insecure person and i have trouble looking people in the eye.. A lot of times when people talk to me i look away and its a huge nervous habit. Try to work on your confidence a little bit. Like maybe dress nicer... Not necessarily in a DRESS with loads of make up on ( unless that suits you ). If this really concerns you go for some counseling. They could give you tips on how to boost your confidence up a little bit. Once you feel more confident in yourself i think this could help you with your eye contact issues as well smile

• Posted

You're almost grown up now, Jennifer. You realise that you are no longer a child, but someone who will have responsibilities, go to college, university, get a job, move out of the family home..........I don't mean that you think about all these things all of the time but you must have thought about it from time to time..........so some of your teachers are not much older than you, really.

It's a slight lack of confidence thing. Go and talk to your school counsellor, or a teacher you really like and respect..........or your parents, depending on your relationship with them.

You will naturally make the transition from child to woman and then you will be able to look at your teachers as equals, if you see what I mean.

Lots of older teens have this problem. They just don't want to admit it.

If you don't like any of my suggested people to help you, go and see your doctor for some reassurance. And google some relaxation tapes and techniques.

• Posted

Yes i do know that theoretically but practically it's a lot harder. All i have to do is just practice until i get there. I don't have much experience in life socially so i'll have to work on that. Life is a series of experiences after all. I appreciate your response tess, thank you

• Posted

Are u anxious about being singled out or asked a question by teacher in front of class?
    • Posted

Yes i get anxious but in the normal range i guess. I never seem very agitated or anything. Ugh these nervous habits. They're so stressful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.