struggling with graves !

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with graves disease just over a year ago. I lost 3 stone and its all creeping back on.

I am on carbimazole, I started on 40 mg and it took a long time for my levels to start reducing. I am now on a maintenance level of 10 mg daily but I feel awful.

I have started getting palpitations again, I have started having panic attacks frequently, I get pains in my chest and to top it off my body hurts all over, especially my legs. I cant remember the last time I had much sleep at night and I think I am going off my head sometimes. I am irritable and grumpy and my fiancé gets the brunt end of it. I am always falling out with him and sometimes I don't even know why. I am so tired It makes me depressed and miserable and sometimes I feel like giving up. I try my best to get on with life but my fiancé thinks im just being lazy because I am not physically fit to do things and want to go to my bed early or get up later.

I had my bloods checked last week and they are satisfactory.

can anyone help me sad

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn, this has happened to me last few weeks. I was on 5mg and then 10 my every other day. Had been feeling generally unwell then last week all symptoms of graves were terrible. My doctor has put me on citalopram which is a antidepressant. It's good for anxiety and moods. Speak to your doctor. But graves totally affect ur emotional state. Don't worry I'm completely feeling your pain. I hadn't slept for like 5 days. Was shattered. Speak to your doctor see what they can do x
  • Posted

i feel like im never away from my doctor, i am an emotional wreck at the moment, i was feeling fine then all of a sudden i feel like im back to square one. i sometimes think if i could only get a good night sleep then everything would be ok. it doesn't happen though.

ill try and get an appointment for tomorrow.

has anyone tried counselling for graves disease?

• Posted

I think you can get counselling if you have other issues. I felt the same like I was always at doctors. But it's normal how u feel. Well not normal but graves disease normal lol. Go to doctors and tell them how your feeling. Ask them about counselling or support groups you can access in your area if any x
  • Posted

Thanks for your message ann. Good luck with your health journey.

I plan to see my doctor ASAP to see what they suggest

Graves gets me down!!

Xxx

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Sleep deprivation is awful! I have 2 small children so I know it's hard on barely any sleep. I hope you don't mind me asking this and please tell me to mind my own business if you do!

You mentioned you'd lost 3 stone and had started to put this on again? Do you think this is the medication, the disease or do you think your diet has changed? I'm just interested as I also lost 3 stone and for the first time in a long time I'm happy with my weight. I do worry about putting this weight back on.

Thanks very much xx

• Posted

Hi lovely lady. Yes weight loss and gain is problem with these conditions. I also lost loads of weight. I went from size 16 to a size 12. And now I'm back at 16/18 and hate it. My diet hasn't changed its due to hyperthyroidism and graves. And if ur thyroid goes hypo all comes back. It's a nightmare. Took me 5 months to lose it all as was very hyper but put back on within 2 years. And I'm also doing swimming and zumba and it's not shedding any pounds :-(
  • Posted

Hi I know how you feel my body hurts all over especially my legs and worse at night, I haven't had much sleep in 2 years I have graves disease diagnosed 10-1-13 have gained 20 pds, I eat veggies and meat not many carbs and it is not coming off, my doctor just says he will look into it. I go again to the endo on wed. and he has to help me. I also feel like my heart has to much pressure and I am bloated and can't breath, hang in there, I am going to try that fat sick and nearly dead diet and see what it does.
  • Posted

I had a sleep problem years ago long before I had Graves. I was put on imipramine, an old antidepressant drug and my sleep improved from the first night I took it. I dreamt more and felt more rested. My sleep was lighter. It has sedative properties but is not a sedative drug so is good for anxiety. It has side effects at higher doses (dry mouth, blurred vision) but at low doses of 25 mg or less I can tolerate it. Actually I was on Cytomel and imipramine from 1993 to 2005 because the Cytomel boosts the action of imipramine without having the side effects. I asked the Dr. who prescribed it if this was the cause of my Graves and he said not. None of his patients that he prescribed this for got Graves.

I just viewed some Youtube videos on Graves by Integrative medicine physicians or Naturopathic physicians who suggest supplements to improve your Immune system and treat Graves. I have mentioned acetyl-L-carnitine on this board before and if you ask your doc to test you for this, you will probably find that you are Carnitine-deficient. You can google Graves Disease and Youtube and get lots of great info.

• Posted

I think the best conditions for weight loss are to have the thyroid levels in the upper part of the normal range (with the TSH also within the range) and to eat a well balanced healthy diet that includes plenty of pure water, and to do what you can in the way of exercise. I also suspect Linda is right about the Carnitine, and I will also see if my doctor will test me for it. I understand there can be genetic defects that cause it to be low in some people and I believe my sister and I and several cousins might have inherited such a problem, because we all suffer from similar effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.