Struggling with Hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost a year ago. Initially I was relieved just to have an explanation for why I'd been feeling so crappy. I looked forward to starting my treatment and getting back to feeling normal again but 9 months and 75 micrograms of levothyroxine later, I can't say I feel any different. I'm still having blood tests every few months and my dosage is increased every time but it just feels like it's going to take forever before I feel like the normal me again and in the meanwhile I just feel quite unoptimistic... Just wondering if there's anyone else who feels the same way? Anyone who has overcome the symptoms of Hypothyroidism and can give me some hope? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My endo dr told me that he likes to keep his patients, TSH levels, around 1.00, as that is where they feel their best.  I didn't feel good until my TSH hit 0.95.  Do you know your TSH level?  Also.. levothyoxine seems to not work for everyone.  I would say, if your TSH is at or around 1.00 and you still don't good, then perhaps it's time to look for alternative treatments..

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I had no idea about that and I'll definitely try to find out what my TSH level is. At least then I have something to look out for.. Thanks again smile

• Posted

Your situation is not totally unusual. However when you get to the right dosage you may feel better. Go online and learn about the TSH test, and what other versions of thyroid medication are out there. Get tested for antibodies to see if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is caused by the immune system. Many people believe diet changes help for this.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I will have a look at those online and I'll ask my doctor about the antibody test. If it isn't Hashimotos then what might it be? Thanks again smile

• Posted

If not Hashimoto's then it may be just a low-functioning Thyroid and your doc may be able to suggest other tests.

• Posted

D have you been tested for other causes of hypothyroid-like symptoms, mainly vitamins B and D and low ferritin (iron deficiency)?  These can go hand in hand with hypothyroidism so it might be time for further investigation.  They are simple blood tests and are easily corrected through supplementation.

I had a ferritin of 6 last year and felt dreadful....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.