struggling with methodone detox after 35yrs of heroin addiction.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been a herion addict for 35 yrs and stoped injecting 3 yrs ago this may but am still on methodone, I have managed to reduce from 70-8ml and hope to get down to five in the next few days but am struggling with it now, I don't want to fail as I feel this may be my last chance. Any advice please, am feeling very alone and pretty desperate.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You've done amazingly by the sound of it.

I was on it for 14+ yrs and reduced my meth from 60ml to around 10 ml a day. I stopped taking it for as long as I could each day and when I'd start to feel rattly I'd then take the minimum I could to stop the rattle. Slowly over a few weeks the gaps between taking meth turned from hours into a couple of days at a time, I kept stretching it out, and then it turned into 3 days before needing it and so on until I just jacked it in as the amount I was taking by the time I stopped was probably more psychological than anything else 1-2 ml

This technique depends on whether you pick up your script daily or weekly. I was lucky in that I collected weekly and had a large 'stash' we'll call it, of meth which Id accumulated as I never took it unless I was rattling.

The rattle is sh*t obviously but by waiting till you start to feel crap and then taking the minimum, you know you're only 30/40 mins away from it kicking in and making you feel better.

This worked for me as I hated the bloody stuff, far too sickly And hated the Iidea of it full stop.Once I stared extending the gaps to (3-4+ days) between taking the tiny bit of meth I was on by now my bodys natural energy came back and I just got really into being straight, don't get me wrong pot helped me and still does but I'm not at all worried about that, never have, never will.

There was sleepless nights and twitching arms and legs once I was off the meth, it was like a rattle but different, my body was sort of rattling a little but without that horrible flu like blahh feeling, Iit was bearable with weed and pain killers. The nights I couldnt sleep, I wouldnt fight it Id just go downstairs have a smoke and listen to music all night, sometimes id dorop off after a few hour, ssometimes I'd stay up the whole night on the music. It took about 3months to feel totally normal but i had restless leg syndrome for 6 months which was horrible sometimes, its just like your legs are rattling, just your legs.

Surround yourself with just positive people, I cut off all my gear friends, who weren't real friends. I'll talk to them if I see them but dong hang with.

Im now 10 months clean and found it easy since around month 1of being off the meth.

I had to tell my drug councillor that I was taking my normal dose as they think that if you dont take your meth every day then you'll o.d.. Once I was free of meth I told the councillor that I had just stopped taking it and was doing fine, I'd only see her every two weeks so it was plausable I could have reduced from ten mil to nothing in that time.The only thing they were concerned about was what had I done with the meth I hadn't taken, so I told them it went down the sink cos I hated it so much.

Sorry for rambling. I was a really negative person for years....it was the gear. You've changed in the last 35yrs, once you get clean you will be a different person. I am.

Remember "music is the best"

Its now my drug of choice, I've rekindled my love affair with all kinds of stuff, music and friends old and new.

• Posted

Whow, you made enormous progress there Lesley.

If I was in this situation, fur sure I wouldn't bring the Meth down on this instant.

Myself I would try to stabelize and become completely functional on 8 ml and then walk the last few miles.

How long did it take you to build down your daily intake ??

Good luck,

Escar

• Posted

Have u not considered subutex igot from 8omls meth to 10ml then switched to 8mg subutex and reduced to 0.4 mg it worked for me after 22 yrs of using, good luck
  • Posted

i was on the same boat as you pet but i was on 180 ml now im down to 75ml and my doc tells me i will b on it for rest of my life im 50yrs old now and to be told you will b on it for life is not nice to hear i will b getting a second opinion about this because i dont agree with my doc.Ask your gp to put you on subutex and come of the meth its easier that way thats what i would do but it is in your hands

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.