Struggling with Mirena. Pain and gritty dark period

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

I got the Mirena put in over a month ago.

It has been non stop pain since. Really strong cramps and then sharp pains that come and go.

Im just in my first 'period' but cant really call it that. Not much coming out but some dark gritty spotting that doesnt smell very pleasant. Pain seems to coincide with another splodge of this coming out.

Ive been told to persevere but I dont know when pain is bad and when its normal.

Please help. Im lost for ideas.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph I would have this checked out asap sounds like an infection! I have had marina in 5 half years still recall spotting for many months but not the pain you describe.I asked for mine to be removed and told to persevere i did and after a while it settled your body will experiance a lot of things with this coil pain in boobs down your legs feeling low sometimes its all the hormones,but not  the pain your going through.Hope all works out ok .jules
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Jules. Ive called the nurse to see if I can get seen. I was worried that it may be an infection. Ive been feeling unwell also so this could be the case.

I have the boob and leg pain. Check. Boobs are enormous. Also feeling ravenously hungry. Not something I ever worry about.

• Posted

Hi steph glad your getting checked out when you had it inserted may be it scratched your insides and caused an infection. As we know its not a very nice experience  having it put in.I would persevere with it as after 5 months of spotting i only have a period once every Blue moon. julie
    • Posted

What was your spotting like? Was it red or like this dark stuff?
  • Posted

HI STEPH YES I HAVE HAD THE RED AND THE DARK STUFF NOT VERY NICE FOR A LONG TIME  UNTILL IT SETTLED DOWN. WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT COLOUR ITS MORE THE PAIN  THAT YOUR HAVING MAKES ME THINK YOU HAVE AN INFECTION,HOPE YOU GET SORTED.ANY TIME YOU NEED ADVICE ON THE COIL DO WRITE ON BLOGG AND I WILL ADVISE ALL THE THINGS I WENT THROUGH,I HAD THE COPPER COIL FOR 10 YEARS BEFORE THIS MARINA  IT MAKES YOUR BODY FEEL THINGS YOU HAVE NEVER HAD BEFORE,ANY THING DIFFERENT BLAME THE COIL.JULES.
    • Posted

Hiya I've had the marina coil put in nearly 4 months now and I've suffered constant bleeding and servere pain. The pain dies off slightly but when it's at its worst, I cant move with pain. I had an extremely bad spell last weekend. The pain came on so sudder and servere, couldn't walk, lost my vision, hearing and felt so faint. My husband had to carry me to my bed. I did seek medical attention and they told me it's the coil settling and to continue for 4 month. I am still in discomfort and I am hanging on as much as I can. But I want this out. Hope yours settles. X
    • Posted

That doesnt sound like its settling at all. Have you spoken with the nurse that put it in? I dont think loss of vision an d hearing is a known side effect. Were you checked for infection?
    • Posted

Hiya Stephen,I got my coil put in when I went to have key hole surgery. My consultant put it in after they'd done the keyhole surgery. I've been tested for infections and my results show I have no infections. I am sick now. I'm gonna hang on a few more weeks and then I'm gonna get it removed. If my consultant isn't happy then it's tough. X
    • Posted

Hi gemma defo have the coil removed if that is causing your symptoms maybe it released  too much hormone at once.i have never had anything as bad as that if it hapens again get it out.Good luck Jules.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.