Struggling with Prozac and Valium withdrawals

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi first post, been off Prozac 3 weeks and Valium a few days.

I have heart disease and had a heart attack in 2007 which required a triple bypass at age 34.

Been battling anxiety and depression since a child.

Have, or had , no intention of going back to, a very physical job 6 days a week. My heart and mind, well,I just can't take it anymore. Took extended unpaid leave to gather

myself 600km away from home.

I don't have any Prozac or Valium left. My dosage was just 10 mg a day for 6 years.. 4 days off Vals cold turkey and not doing well. numbness all over my body, skin, mouth, throat. Can't see well, hearing things, hallucinations, agoraphobic, insomnia, nausea, headache, irrate. Losing the use of my right leg. many other symptoms and I'm sure the lack of Prozac isn't helping. I have no taper plan as I've had it up to here with doctors, meds and the lies, I want this stuff to get lost.

Was supposed to return to work Monday but I'm to ill to travel atm, let alone work. I'm suicidal. I must go back to a very oppressive home environment and must now look for work which isn't physically demanding. I'm at a loss I have faith but it's weak, I'm really sick, but noone gets it, society doesn't get it, supposed to just shake it off and carry on, but I'm so tired.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi row36869,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Posted

Please do as the moderator suggests and know you are not alone at this. I am on Prozac now going on 35 years and was on ativan (Lorazepam) for 20 years. It does and will get better. Believe me there is some doctors that understand us better than others. Please have faith in the fact that there is a doctor out there that will help. I am NOT a doctor, just know that it took me 6 months tapering on the ativan and am still on prozac which I don't know if I will ever get off due to my neuropathy issues. The valium is worse to come off on I believe but of course I have not yet gone off the prozac. My mind thinks one pill going off at a time so I know the reactions. Please find it in your heart to talk to a professional. Not all are bad. I have been blessed this last year in finding someone that let me take my time going off the meds. Good luck Row and please keep us updated. I will keep you in my mind and heart. Thank you, Ruby

• Posted

Ask your doctor about Citalopram. It's not a "happy" Pill, but it will help level you out. Prozac worked when I was younger, but when I tried it 10 years later, it made me feel odd. Do NOT think about suicide. You have a chemical imbalance- with the right drug and talk therapy, you will do well. Dont go with a therapist that doesn't say anything- I went to one that gave a lot of advice and was a pleasure to be with.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for listening everyone, some good advice. Tried Citalopram before prozac, didn't do anything. tried a tapering plan with valium, can't stick to it.

End up taking a high dose after just a few days to help me feel better as I just feel so ill. Then stuck in withdrawal syndrome all the time. Off Valium a little more than a week now and it's not going well. the numbness, dizziness, nausea and headaches are terrible. How can one function like this.

my aim is to not be on any pill, as it numbs and suppresses the issues I must face and address, that's the case for me anyway.

The health system in my country is dysfunctional.. can't afford to see a private doctor or therapist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.