Struggling with side effects, but what is causing them...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I apologise for the long post.

I am a 40 year old male who is struggling with many of the side effects that many of you have mentioned. Following a heart attack 4 years ago, I had a stent fitted and was given a cocktail of drugs (Atorvastatin 80mg, Ramipril 10mg, Bisoprolol 5mg, Clopidogrel, Asprin).  Ever since I have been experiencing extremem tiredness and dizziness every single day.  The sysmptoms start around 11am and progressively get worse to the point when I feel I am going to pass out. I suddenly feel cold (especially hands) and light headed and have to fight hard to make it through each working day.  It feels like I have been drugged and I am constantly in a dazed zombie like state.  I also have such vivid dreams that wake me up in a panic sometimes.  I get dizzy when I move my head or when I am in the supermarket around a lot of people and motion.  I switched to taking my meds in the evening but that did not help.  The GP's just dont seem to be concerned at all and have said it is stress or lack of sleep or diet.  I have had many blood tests, 24h heart and BP monitor but everything is clear.  

The strange thing is that all my symptoms seem to get better in the evening after I get home from work.  I even manage go to the gym in the evenings and feel totally fine. I should also mention that I am NOT stressed out and I enjoy my work. 

I am convinced that my issues are caused by my meds but how can I tell which one)s) is causing the problems.  I really am struggling and cannot feel this bad much longer.  I have put up with it for 4 years but it is now getting worse and affecting my work and life.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Britestar!  Your symptoms sound bad, very hard to put up with.  I don't knowaout the effects of some of them but having experienced the bad side effects of bisoprolol, just as you describe,I would say ask if you can replace that beta blocker drug with someting that suits you better.  With bisprolol I had severe tiredness and severe chest pain which landed me in A and E, also a very low heart rate.  I wouldn't care to try it again.  There are aternatives, why not as your GP for a change?
    • Posted

Thanks Pam,  I have given a blood sample this week and my GP has asked for the full blood works to be tested.  I am due for a follow up next week so will deffinately push her to consider Bisoprolol as a cause.

She also suggested I monitor my blood sugar when experiencing these symptoms to see if that might be the cause but I dont think it is as diet does not seem to have any impact on my sysmptoms.    

• Posted

HI Britestar,

Firstly I don't know when you are taking your meds, but would suggest that you take the Bisoprol and Atorvastatin last thing at night so that you sleep through the period that you are having the side effects, I did this with my wife when she was on Bisoprol and it made quite a differnce to her well being.

She is no longer on Bisoprol as I got it changed to Atenolol 50 mg and I am on 100mg, both of us without any known side effects.

My wife is still on Atorvastatin without any apparant effects, but I was prescribed it and took it for one week and felt really ill, so I stopped taking it and told my gp and he said okay.

I did not mention that my wife 2 years ago had a massive heart attack and had 2 stents inserted, she was put on the Liverpool Care Plan which when no brain activity is shown on an MRI scan they withdraw all medication and liquids allowing the person to pass away, into the 4 day my wife blinked and we realised that she was fighting to come back.

She then had to learn everything again, to walk, talk, read, write. It has taken 2 long years and she is back to her normal self.

My advice to you is to read what the drugs you are taking can do to you and then challenge your Cardiologist / GP to find an alternative drug that will agree with you. Don't be fobbed off, do your research and take it with you to your appointments.

I hope some of this will help you.

Good luck , Ken.

• Posted

Thank you Ken,  I am so glad to hear your wife has made a good recovery from such a serious condition.  I will difinately push my GP to look into my Medication as the cause of my problems and I am arming myself with as much information as possible.  I am also considering skipping taking Bisporolol for just one day to test if it makes any difference.   I am too scared to stop any longer without the GP's consent.   I do take my med last thing at night but that makes no difference. Over the past few months I have been getting fitter and eating healthy and managed to loose some weight.  Perhaps, this has improved my cardiac health and I need lower dose meds? 
  • Posted

HI

My gp warned me about the possibility of vivid dreams when she put me on Bisoprolol so presumably that is one of the known side effects.  I have found that I cant take 2.5mg at one go - so GP has advised me to take 1.25 in the morning and another in the evening. I find that I am still really tired but I am not so spaced out.  Reading the posts on this forum looks like everyone's experience is different Check back with your GP to see if there is something that can be done.

• Posted

Hi britestar, i am on bisoprolol 5mg, i was on 10mg, then 7.5mg, but could not stand the side effects, i too have diziness and light headedness, a few times every day, and like you always worse in a supemarket, it is like motion sickness, i also feel very tired and get cold feet, also my vision goes a bit funny, i think the worst thing for me is the weird feelings, it is like dejavu, and old memories come flooding back, it is very scary as they all get jumbled up and leaves me confused, the whole thing is taking away my life, as i dont have much interest in the things i used to love doing, its like i have lost my confidence and i feel very down, i see my cardiologist at the end of the month, so hopefully he might change the drugs, i know this hasn't helped you much, but its good for you to know you are not alone, take care izzie.
  • Posted

evening britestar i will poke a stick at bisopradol its like beening one of the walking dead on that meds i took myself off mine nearly two weeks ago doctors put me on one called slozem 240mg,i feel like a new man good luck with your quest hope you find the cause 
  • Posted

You are not alone.! I was prescribed bisop 10 mgs, and rampril 10 mgs for A/Fib, 4 years ago. I thought that I was feeling so ill because of the A/fib. After reading posts here I asked my GP to change the meds. The side effects were so debilitating! Incredible tiredness,which kicked in 4/5 hours and lasted until early evening. I then felt a bit better! I had the nightmares,dizzy,cold feet,numbness in my hands through night, backache,legs felt that they wouldn't walk, foggy head weight gain visual disturbances. My GP  wouldn't change the meds,but eventually a new doc changed the bisop to atenolol 100 mgs and 2.5 rampril! I've been through hell with side effects and trying to get my doc to listen to me and my concerns. Another new doc and she has allowed me to lower the atenolol to 25 mgs! I've had awful withdrawal effects but I'm now feeling much better. 

In my case the bisop and the atenolol have given me bad side effects but the rampril may also have contributed. I'm aiming to get off these betablockers in the next 6 months. I will monitor my heart rate and blood pressure.

your doc seems as insensitive to your prob as mine. It's not good enough. Don't give up,read the helpful posts google the meds and push like mad to get your doc to sort your meds.  Keep shining britestar

• Posted

Cracking reply elizebeth i think bisopradol is the devils pill i came off mine myself my doctor listened now on one called slozem 240mg.first few days massive headaches settled abit now i can now walk upstairs without gasping for breath hes even pushing my cardiologists for a ablation he says at 52 i still young enough for it to work lets hope so
    • Posted

Hi Popeye,

You do not say if you have A Flutter or Fibualation. I had mine done for flutter in November and it was a sucess and I am 75, I had no sedative and was home in under 4 hours after the procedure, I came of Warfarin altogether in February as I am still in sinus rythm, just a final checkup in June and hopefully thats that.

Good luck, If you want to know anything just ask.

Regards Ken.

• Posted

Well ken thats great news well done ive been told i go into afib not sure of difference all i know when it comes on feels like a machine gun chest tightens sweats light headed nausea breathing very poor apart from that mate i carnt tell you any more cheers popeye
    • Posted

Hi Popeye,

If you are going to have an ablation the procedure will depend on which you have for Atril Flutter approximate 1 hour with a sedative, if it's Fibulation approximate 4 hours with a general anesthetic.

Some times it works first time and some times it needs more than one go.

Good luck.

Ken.

• Posted

Cheers ken i dont care if it takes 10 or more just want shut of it just meedcmy cardiologists on my side the good thing is my gp,s pushing him from this side nigel
  • Posted

Hi Britestar. I don't think that stopping the Bisoprolol for a day will make any difference to your symptoms. I tried for a week but my symptoms were unchanged, so I'm now not sure if the Bisoprolol is the cause of my tiredness. I've just been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / M.E. so I'm now more confused than ever!
  • Posted

Morning britestar see your doctor i came off my bisopradol myself my doctor raised a eyebrow but turns out i was right only you know your own body good luck sorting it out mate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.