Struggling with undiagnosed bipolar disorder

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm really unsure about posting here and I feel really lost but I'm hoping someone can help. I've been experiencing episodes of mania and depression and its truly ruining my life. I've had numerous episodes these past couple of weeks and almost broke my hand punching a cement wall. I don't know how to control myself and my moods and I go for short periods of time days or even weeks of elated mood then just outta nowhere crashing depression and I feel so lost and confused. Other times I'm so happy I just do whatever I want no matter how dangerous or the consequences and it led to me becoming addicted to opiates and benzos. I feel like no one can help me and getting professional help isn't an option for me so I'm just looking for ways to cope and I just wanna know if anyone else has experienced similar things?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why isn't professional help an option for you??

I think they is exactly what you need to help you before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Your not alone a lot of people feel this way but there is help you just have to reach out for it.

Please call a Dr. Or counseling center they are there to help you.

Please stay posted you are never alone.

• Posted

First thing, bipolar can take an awfully long time to diagnose, you may not have it - only a trained professional should diagnose it, diagnosing yourself isnt a good idea.  Second - why is professional help not an option?  If there is a problem or something that you want investigated, like everyone else - you see a professional and try to get to the bottom of it.  Its a choice of course, and you can choose not to - but you wont get help if there is an issue, its totally up to you
  • Posted

I wouldn't even think about self diagnosis. . U can only help yourself by seeing a doctor .. I don't think anyone can advise you on here as you haven't had professional help. Everyone will most likely say the same . 😕

• Posted

Yes, I've been where you are at, and empathize. Professionals -  GPs, psychiatrists, therapists, counsellors - don't help everyone with bipolar disorder, and may make it worse in some cases. There is no hard evidence that professional interventions significantly improve the lives of bipolar people. Some people claim it helped, but they can't rule out that other concurrent factors helped them to feel better (eg. spontaneous recovery, other life events).  Illicit drugs help some bipolars control their ups and downs and side-winders, though you have to become an expert in self-medication to get that right (cannabis is the safest option - but can make some feel worse). Many bipolars say that having at least one significant other (partner, friend, relative) who empathizes with and supports them can make all the difference. Reading more about bipolarity (including latest research) and discussing your problems with other bipolars (like here) is also useful. In addition, finding a way to express the high and low moods can also be very helpful - such as visual arts, acting, singing, poetry or other creative expression. And one of my mantras is: flow through the lows and ride the highs. Lastly, when feeling suicidal, contemplating and planning your death can be very cathartic, as long as you don't do it (or mention it to health professionals). Over and out of it.

• Posted

Have you tried going to a support group? They there aren't doctors even though there might be but they all are there for support for what they are going through. I went to one for years and helped me a lot. They all have been in your shoes and talk from experience.

• Posted

Hi can I ask why you not able to get professional help as that surely is the best option to start with ?
  • Posted

You are not alone. I'm going through the same thing, and trying to keep my life from completely falling apart. To be honest, I rarely get a reply to any comments or posts so I'm frustrated with this site, but it helps to talk. I'm new to all this.

• Posted

Hi max don't suffer in silence ! There must be help/support available ! I don't have bi polar but as my partner has it , I have been trying to learn & understand this illness so I can help him through the good days /bad days

• Posted

thats because nice people are trying to help out nice people on here. You start showing any negative symptoms like anger and disillusionment, or saying you don't want professional help, and you will be cold-shouldered. Serious bipolar mood swings don't go down well here. Play the 'I am nice and I like what doctors tell me to do' game or forget it.

• Posted

I didn't mean to put any negative vibes out. I was just trying to say when I've asked for help on a couple past occasions I've gotten no replies. Maybe I'm the only one on Geodon on this forum.

• Posted

I'm  on Geodon....... Can I be of help to you?

• Posted

why can you not get professional help?  there are not many coping mechansisms that you can through at bipolar disorder which you are descibing.   there is some new research that suggests that the more episodes you have early in your life that are untreated, the worse you will be later in life. i have just read this lately....... that being said, you can go to the health food store and get a product called " lithium orate." It is the non processed form of lithium. i have never taken it, but i have heard stories from people that have been helped by it. i can vouch for a supplement called GABA. It works for me to keep me calmer. I take it all of the time. One in the morning and one at night that has melatonin in it. I am not giving medical advice here, but i have learned to add things to my regimen. I was able to get off benzodiazepens by taking this GABA. and that was a miracle.  i do hope that you can get a proper diagnosis and stabilize yourself. This illness wears on you so much, even with medication. When you are depressed, try to tell yourself that it is depression and it will pass.( it is hard to do this, but if you journal and keep up with your patterns, you will have some facts to throw at yourself )  when you feel manic, try to stay away from ALL the stress that you can. Breathe. Be gentle with yourself. stay away from self medicating with drugs or alcohol. it only makes things worse. good luck to you. perhaps you will get some other advice that will help you. 

• Posted

You need to see a GP and if this is not possible telephone 111 and explain your problems to them. they will triage and decide a way forward, You need a place of safety, explain that andif they feel that is the case will take you to A and E.

You can go to A and E and present yourself there and they can assist if you explain your concerns

Let us know how you get on

BOB

• Posted

A&E would not triage or treat the symptoms mentioned here, not at all. They will treat mental health issues if someone is in immediate danger,otherwise they will just tell you to see a GP. Not saying that's right or wrong but that's how it is. As the OP won't take professional help,they will be even less likely to be inclined to help

• Posted

All I know in my area if there was a person was in danger to themselves they would remove to a place of safety.

I would still recommend that you talk to a GP and explain your fears and concerns

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.