Struggling with withdrawal. Should I restart?

Posted , 5 users are following.

After taking 40mg for almost 3 years I stopped taking citalopram just over 4 weeks ago cold turkey. I naively thought I couldn't feel worse off them than i was feeling on them. My God was I wrong, I have had horrendous withdrawal and although the physical symptoms have pretty much stopped I am mentally feeling rock bottom.

I am now questioning if I should just give in and start taking them again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I am at the end of my tether.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Try going back on a low dose and see if that eases your symptoms. I wouldn't go back on 30mg though. Sometimes the experience is different the second time around. Hopefully katecogs will read this and give you advice. Best wishes.

• Posted

thank you! i think i am going to try going back on a low dose

• Posted

wow if physical symptoms have gone already youre very very lucky! i drop by 2mgs at a time and my symptoms dont start for about 8-12 weeks and can only drop every year as i have extreme withdrawal

• Posted

You might have felt bad on 40mg because that’s the maximum dose and lots and lots of people can’t tolerate this high dose and just end up with constant side effects.

Lowering the dose to either 30mg or 20mg would probably have sorted it out.

Yes I would introduce the meds again - its only been 4 weeks and this withdrawal is probably going to last a few months yet.

I’d introduce 10mg for a week or two and then go to 20mg and wait there. You’re going to feel rough for a while yet I’m afraid - withdrawal mixed with start up…….

Going cold turkey is dangerous .......

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I think I will do as you suggest. I thought I could ride out the storm but 4 weeks on and I dont think i can take much more.

I know I should have consulted a Doctor but I have moved house and dont have a GP at the moment and thought "how bad can it be" without doing any research and now I know.

• Posted

try not to mess around with dose if you reinstate because for some people they have mild withdrawal for months whilst others it takes years! i updosed too late and it took me 12 months to get a little stable, doctors dont really know much about these drugs, if they did these forums wouldnt really exist!

• Posted

My first time I came off 20mg meds took 6 months and I still had withdrawal which lingered for months - 4 weeks at double that dose it will hit you hard. Second time I came off I spent a year doing it my 5mg each reduction and had no withdrawal that time.

Did your doctor know you'd come off them? Best find a doctor now you've moved as you'll need one when reordering anyway.

• Posted

i was worried in the early days about taking cit for to long a time. ive been on 20mg for 10 years now. its been life changing for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.