Struggling yet again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm pretty sure I've made this exact same thread 2/3 times before in the last year but I still can't get over it. 

Basically im 22 years old and 2 years ago I got diagnosed with anxiety, centers around health anxiety which is quite bad to be fair which probably the reason i am where i am now. I got diagnosed with anxiety after having chest pains, I had about 6 ECG's and a stress ECG before i accepted that maybe the chest pains were down to anxiety. I let it go and the chest pains slowly went, but then as everyone knows with anxiety they always come back, I started to get chest pains again sometimes when I was in the gym or playing football, so i went back to the doctor but i was so nervous, the doctor listening to my heart and said he could hear a heart murmur, but he thinks its an innocent one. Of course I googled heart murmurs, diagnosed myself with all sorts of stuff, theres some websites says severe anxiety can cause an innocent heart murmur, some website so it doesnt.

Anyway, he sent me to a cardioligist, he too said he thinks the heart murmur is innocent but he'll do the tests anyway to 100% make sure. He did another ECG on me, said it was fine. Also did echocardiogram where it takes a 3D image of your heart and he said that was completely fine too, and finally I did a 72 hour ECG where i did experience chest pain etc and that came back all good too. He told me that my heart is fine, and that the chest pain must be coming from somewhere else besides the heart. 

That was all in October last year, but I'm still sat here worrying that theres something wrong with my heart, last night i went to play footy in a sports hall, the air quality was really poor and muggy, and i started to get abit of chest pain when i took a deep breath. I just can't enjoy myself excercising when i'm constantly worrying about my heart, worrying I may have some kind of arrythmia or something, i look back at stuff like 2 years ago i was messing in this room and all of us a sudden i came over dead dizzy and had to run to the bathroom where i nearly passed out. I wonder if that could of been the result of a heart arrythmia, but then I think well i was on a hot room all hungover, maybe i just had a funny do. 

Bla god knows, I've had about 8 ECG's, 2 stress ecg's, a 72 hour ECG and a echocardiogram, you'd think i'd relax that my hearts fine but I can't. Theres no more tests the doctors can do anymore so im just going to have to suck it up, Never had any problems before these last 2 years, sucks. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

except you are ok why worry theres nothing wrong is there, lucky you.

• Posted

Hi

I think its safe to say if there was something wrong with your heart it would have found with all those tests. Chest pain, palpitations, dizziness are all really common anxiety issues. I too suffer with anxiety, these days not so much health related as I fight against that. Try and come to terms with the fact you suffer anxiety because until you do you will never accept what health proffessionals are telling you.

Years ago I was convinced I had lymphoma. CONVINCED. Many trips to the GP who in my mind were not doing their job properly. I had scans etc but I could literally feel lumps. Looking back of course if you dig your fingers so hard into your skin you are gonna feel all sorts. It wasnt until I started anti depressants that I calmed down. Anxiety seriously can cause so many issues!!

• Posted

Yeah it's anxiety full stop in my book

I've lived all my life (61now)with it chest pains. Heart palps panic fear terror and all the rest I started out in my teens with hypochondria and over the years refined and defined until I was left with the fact that I am chronically insecure and that manifests in anxiety symptoms just as you describe. I have the symptoms now tight chest,clamp round my heart and I'm watching TV! I wish you good luck keep of benzos they are bad news.

• Posted

I too don't think there is anything wrong with your heart as the test prove it conclusively, you may however have slight asthma which may account for the difficulties when exercising.

Might be worth getting it checked out?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.