Struvite stone info please

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently had Lithotripsy and got the stone report today. My stone was calcium oxalate coated with struvite. Everything I've read says struvite stones are a result of UTIs and antibiotics should be given. I've never had a UTI so am now totally baffled. Help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

In 2016, I passed a large stone and then got sick, not realizing there was another stone behind that one that had gotten stuck. I showed the one I passed to my doc and she said it was a survite stone. She said they were infectious stones. I ended up in hospital with sepsis.
    • Posted

Well that pretty much scares me to death, since sepsis is one of my big fears! I sure hope that someone out there has had a less scary experience. I'm sooo worried!

• Posted

A year ago I also had urosepsis brought on by a stone blocking my ureter. My stones are calcium phosphate brought on by a hormone imbalance caused by a faulty parathyroid gland in my neck. This has now been rectified by a clever surgeon. However I still have residual stones in both kidneys which are being monitored. Hope you feel better soon. I know how awful the pain is. My diet does not make any difference I’ve been told. 

Angela. 

• Posted

This is just too much. I can't handle much more, and I'm sure you feel the same way. You said you just got the report. I didn't know we were supposed to get a report. I never got a report. When you had the Lithotripsy, did the doctor blast the stone into a powder, or did he get pieces of the stone out? I had the 2nd Laser Lithotripsy in December, and the doctor told my daughter that he blasted the stone into powder, and he never said anything about testing anything. And just yesterday or the day before, I read on here about how you can get sepsis from a UTI. Well that still has me upset. I've been sick since a week after the first surgery in October, and no one seems to know what's wrong with me. Going to the doctor again tomorrow. I don't know if I've got the Flu, or what's going on, all I know is, I am sick. Wish I could be of more help - some help, but I never heard of anything like this.    

• Posted

Barb

I strained the stone fragments after the Lithotripsy to be analyzed. That's the report I got, which I had to ask for. I'm so stressed and depressed right niw with fear. I never had signs of infection, which is what causes struvite stones, and now I'm fearful of sepsis. I've ALWAYS feared sepsis, but I never knew it can come from kidney stones.

• Posted

I can understand you being stressed and depressed after getting this latest news, and I definitely share your fear of sepsis. I had never thought about the possibility of getting sepsis from an infection from a kidney stone, until I read about it on here. My neighbor had sepsis a few years ago, and is perfectly fine, and she's almost 89. She can't remember what caused it, but she knows it didn't have anything to do with her kidneys. From what I have read, I think if they catch it in time, you have a very good chance of getting over it. I've been reading a lot of articles online about sepsis, and one of the articles had a list of what to look for. Not sure if I can post the link on here or not. I'm new here, and don't want to do something that isn't allowed. Like I said, I understand and share your fear, but we can't let it control out life. Please try to take care. Barb 

• Posted

Hi Scareddcat -- This really sounds like it's stressing you out and that's understandable.  But if you don't have another one yet, the idea is to stop yourself from getting one...so keep breathing! If your UTI's are ecoli related...then consider taking D-mannose which is a simple sugar and is clinically proven to keep ecoli bacteria away from the bladder wall (go ahead and check with your doctor.)  As for calcium oxalate there are several things you can do in the future...one is drink a lot of water, another is to increase your uptake of magnesium. Potassium citrate is actually a prescription to prevent some stones so ask your doc. There is also the theory that calcium oxalate stones form because we're not getting ENOUGH calcium. Weird eh?  Last -- you may want to consider seeing a naturopath if you can.  There are many natural remedies which can help prevent some kidney stones.  I did have a stone last year -- but I had been stone free for twenty years before that using a preventitive herb extract called "Stonebreaker" which contains 3 or 4 herbs that help to break down stones. I"m not sure if it works for struvite which is why I'd recommend seeing a good naturopath.   Take care of yourself!

• Posted

I know you are afraid of sepsis. If you’re not having trouble with a stone now, you shouldn’t have to worry. I’ve had kidney stones for over 20 years...I’m 44. During my four pregnancies, I passed the most. Never did I have trouble with a stone getting stuck until 2 years ago. It was so bad though that I knew it was different than others. I was so nauseated during the attack. The pain changed to where I could tolerate it. But then I started running a fever. That is your telltale sign for sepsis! When I got to er, my fever was over 103. They did a cat scan and found the stone. Also found I had a kidney infection. It starts with a bacteria in the lower urinary tract and just works it’s way up to the kidneys and then into the bloodstream. I always thought sepsis was so terrible and it can be. But if you get help right away, it turns around quickly with the iv antibiotics.  You can get sepsis from all kinds of infections...mine just happened to b involving a kidney stone. Try not to stress too much over it. You will know if ur going septic! You will run high fevers, have chills and feel like you have the worst flu ever. Hope all goes well for you! smile
  • Posted

I recently had laser litho on 2 stones and the results came back that one was CaOx and the other was CaOx with 10% struvite. It put me in a tail spin as well but none of my doctors seem the least bit concerned about it. Googling it only seems to return results for dogs and cats which is just super frustrating. I have had 2 urine analysis since my surgery and both are totally clear for bacteria but I am still have occasionally cloudy urine. I have reported it to my doctors and they still seem very unconcerned. I guess the message is that even though there was struvite in your stone, it doesnt mean that you actively have an infection. No active infection means low likelihood of getting a kidney infection. And remember you are going to get a kidney infection or UTI before you get  sepsis. Plenty of chances to catch it and treat it. Try to take a deep breath and hopefully all will end well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.