stubborness will kill me!

Posted , 5 users are following.

despite repeated anti biotics, anti fungals, nasal sprays etc I had got nowhere very fast, so being a stubborn s.o.a.b. I decided not to visit doctor last Monday as planned, suffered in silence I guess. It is frustrating the hell out of me this condition coupled with the asthma! The constant lung pain I assume is infection raging, the constant phlegm I hate, the wheezing is soul destroying, what do I do now? I visit the doctors and feel that I'm wasting  both their time and my own, anybody else feel this in the early days after diagnosis?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I did but we have it for life so live with it deal with it and accept it and do your drain every day and you will deal better with it and hopefully cope with each day because you will have good days.
  • Posted

Hi David,

I am so sorry to hear! I've been in that position with my last doctor.

I changed my doctor, got a sputum test done through the new doctor, had the antibiotics and then was given an appointment to see the nurse at the surgery...wow! she was the best so far, she had time as well. These are the instructions she gave me on a sheet of paper;

She states that, I should have been given a 5 day supply of antibiotics (she recommended 500mg azithromysin for stock) and if any of these occur, to start taking them.

More shortness of breath

Have increased sputum volume

Have a change in sputum colour, it is yellow or green/brown

Increased cough

Feverish

Increased wheezing

If you have any of these symptoms you should start your antibiotics.

The nurse also gave me a nebulizer which I haven't had before and showed me how to use it..

I went to an out of hours Primary care centre when I first was poorly 2 years ago, but they may be different in Scotland. The Primary care centre was really good (4am on a bank holiday).

I will be thinking and praying for you,

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

It is frustrating.  After my last hospitalization, I took matters into my own hands.  I found treatments that appear to be more common in the UK, and insisted that I be allowed to try them.  I had been reciving treatmenta aimed at asthma, which here in the US seems pretty standard for bronchiectasis also.  They help to a point...but there are other treatments that work along with the asthma treatments.  I have both asthma and B.  You have to be careful.  The treatments I mention here CAN trigger asthma attacks in a few poeple.  For that reason, I would recommend caution.  A nebulized saline solution treatment is the first thing that has helped me after 4 years of the same old, same old.  I use 3% saline, also known as hyoertonic.  It was a "glory hallelujah" moment for me when I took it and could feel the solid mucus in my chest thinning out and moving.  Again...IF YOU ARE ASTHMATIC BE CAUTIOUS. I take a nebulized bronchodilator first, then the saline.  The first time should be done in the doctor's office in case of a bad reaction.  Now I do this at least twice a day to keep the mucus thin.  I also have terrific luck with an OTC pill called n-acytlcysteine.  It works MUCH better than mucinex, which doctors kept throwing at me.  Hope these ideas help.
  • Posted

David lovely youve got this now for the rest of your life. You have to find a way to live with it. I went to the Brompton yesterday and saw my doctor - we've known each other for over 20 years! Even so she thinks I wasn't so good this time and has suggested nebulising saline.

What I'm saying is that even when you've had this complaint for years there's always something new to help.

Lesley's post is excellent! Can't better it.

Acceptance and doing absolutely everything you can to feel better is the only way. I am guilty of taking bronchiectasis for granted and not taking care of myself properly and I always suffer for it. If you do what you have to do you can have a good life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.