Stuck.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have been taking Amitriptyline now for about 3 weeks. Headaches have lessened but not gone. Today i took no medicine on purpose because i was so fed up at being dumbed down and treated like crap for trying to better myself, but of course the headache is full pelt now, i have thoughts suffocating my brain at such speed but cant seem to be able to breathe to write them all down, even this post sounds as if i can't process what i'm thinking properly. I'm so angry i've gone and put my foot through the chest of drawers by kicking the hell out of it. I've got to go out tomorrow and i don't know whether to take it or not. If i do its less pain and less worthy brain thoughts if i don't its pain and thoughts that are more interesting even if i can't seem to focus on one but yet at the same time i'm more than likely to rip someones head off if they start on me. Should i get back on the meds and has anybody ever used this drug where the pain is eased but the 'thinking' part improves? Sorry if this sounds odd. Thanks, Nick.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Actually it's been about a month i think.
  • Posted

What strength tabs are you taking. When I was on them , I turned into an evil cow . I came off after 6 weeks . Others I know are fine on them on a lower dose 

Pam 

• Posted

Hi Pam, thanks for your reply. Strengh wise i'm on a 100mg but its the case of me being out of control and in pain without them. I  wonder if over a process of time the 'dumbing down' effect clears into being able to think a bit clearer? Nick.
  • Posted

I was only on 50, so that's quite high. A month is still early days , but I am not sure the numbing down goes, you probably get used to it . But the anger bit is not nice and that was  the reason I came off after a couple of months .. I could have smashed things too. .talk to your. gP 
  • Posted

I have just re-read your first post. A friend of mine rakes them for migraine , but only Takes 20. . I was taking them for nerve pain in my knee . The tablets made me really angry , I was on a very short fuse and could explode any time . Just missing one tablet shouldn't cause that to happen , so us it the tablets makng you angry ? Or were you like it before  you started taking them ?  It took several weeks to get them out of my system ? 

Pam 

• Posted

The anger thing was before the tablets, i'm in pain plus a couple of other things which the meds are meant to cover too, part of the plan meds are meant to make me less whats the word...hostile which granted, it does (so adverse effect to you), i care less about what people say to me when on them compared to off them, but it really makes me 'think' stupid. Sorry about your knee.  You any better?
  • Posted

Yes, thank you ,I had a knee replacement 4 months ago . Still need the other one done , but I am much better.  ..if they are helping your mood , then maybe give then a bit longer .. But don't just go on feelng crap , see you GP , maybe there is a better drug ,  but don't just stop taking this one, or you may get worse ...good luck 
    • Posted

Oh ouch, sorry about that, hope you get the other seen too soon. Thanks Pam for your advice and info, sorry if i came across as hard to understand i'm a bit like that, i have an appointment with gp soon so i'll bring up what's happened. Thanks and good luck to you too. Nick.
  • Posted

Hi nick. I have been on amitriptyline 20mg for 3 months now. Headaches have gone better but i now experience different kind of headaches such as heavy head, vibrating head, tired/heavy eyes which i have been told will wear off in time.

Keep with them nick but only come off them following your doctors advice.

Best of luck & health to you

• Posted

Hi Stephen, thanks for that advice, had an appointment the other day and on purpose didn't take them so dr (not reg gp, this was for something else) so he could see what i was like without them, he advised that i was to break the dose up and sent info to gp and to continue taking them, like you've advised, also he's given me information about some other drugs if the Amitriptyline 'thought process' still continues to pursue me. Do you take your meds at night? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.