Stuck at a fork in the road, need support (Katie)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, 40 year old male that out of nowhere 18 months ago started getting what i thought were panic attacks. Tingling in the head, out of body experiences, memory loss, etc

started Prozac 20mg in Nov and upped to 30 in April. Went to 40 last week because i just didn't feel any better from it. i felt great for about 4 months and then nothing.

now i have no libido, if i do have sex i cant climax, and believe it or not I'm having more panic attacks now then before Prozac! Yesterday was the last straw. i was at my doctor getting checked for a hernia, and after he examined me he was talking possible surgery and all of a sudden i felt like i was going to pass out. Tingling everywhere, could barely talk, didn't understand a word he said. It passed in 15 minutes but im thinking to myself, "im 9 months into Prozac and just upped to 40mg, why am i feeling worse than before Prozac?"

I don't know what to do. My anxiety is high, every time i walk in a public place or meeting my head tingles and panic sets in. Its just awful. I cant focus or remember anything. I feel like a 90 year old dementia.

Should i switch to Zoloft? Add Wellbutrin? Go down to 20?

UGHHH, i have an appt next week with my nurse, just wanted to get some support and feedback. Thanks all

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're going through all this. It does sound like you need your meds tweaked. I'm no expert but after all this time, I would have expected prozac to work for you if it was going to. You may need to try another type. Are you getting counselling/ psychotherapy to help you manage your anxiety? Might be worth looking into. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi

Anxiety / panic doesn’t actually start from nowhere, though it feels as if it does, but it usually stems from long term stress and panic / anxiety is just your body telling you its had enough and is releasing lots of adrenaline thats been building up.

SSRI meds do take a long time to work and some people can take 9 months+. Unfortunately a low libido is a common side effect of these meds and often a lower dose can help sort this. For now though, I’d concentrate on getting better and sort the libido out later on.

When we have anxiety / panic feelings our mind remember this and goes into overdrive. We try to avoid these feelings and often places where they’ve happened too. That’s the worst thing to do.

I know difficult, but the best thing to do is to carry on going to public places, let whatever feelings happen just happen, don’t fight it, don’t question it and try and carry on as normal. Honestly this will in time bring you the relief you want and the panic will reduce and finally stop. Its not easy I know. I think I sent you some links to books / websites some time ago? Look at them again as this will explain about Acceptance.

SSRI medicine - when you start or increase a dose, the meds first heighten your symptoms, so I’m guessing this is why you’re feeling worse if you increased only last week. The heightened symptoms will subside in time, so you may have to ride it out. But do look for the author mentioned above.

I’ve heard that Wellbutrin doesn’t have such an impact on libido and maybe that’s something you can talk to your Doctor about sometime, but I do think your strong reactions will subside if you give the Prozac a little more time.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hello Steve,

Just seen your post - I don't know how you've been since, but when I increased my dose of fluoxetine to 40mg back in 2017 I was a wreck for about 3 weeks before I started to get any relief, so as far as I'm aware it is not surprising you were feeling so much worse after just a week on an increased dose - it's strong stuff, and the effects accumulate and creep up on you (if I remember correctly around the sixth day of increasing my dose was when my anxiety shot through the roof).

Hope you're doing OK.

Pamela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.