Stuck Food

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok ladies, here I go again. The last two weeks I have been feeling like my food is not going down after I eat like my food is stuck. It make me a little anxious. It goes away as the day goes on but I hate it. Has anyone expierenced this?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

• Posted

Yes I go through it every now and again but because I was diagnosed with gerd a few years back I started taking famotidine 20 mg. 30 mins before I eat and haven't had this problem lately.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with Gerd also and i have famotidine. Maybe i need to try it. I haven't had this issue in a while so i never tried the med.
  • Posted

Happens to me often now. Started back in Dec 2015 and made me reallly anxious at first. It has eased since though and now comes and goes (along with acid in my throat, back pressure, and what I assume is silent reflux). I can feel pieces of food getting caught and it feels like things take a bit to go down sometimes. Drinking water sometimes irritates my throat and makes me cough a bit now. Getting a HPylori breath test done soon and barium swallow at the end of this month to see if there is a narrowing or ? I have also been given a prescription acid reducer but can't try until I've done my HPylori test. Never had this before Dec. One of those "new" symptoms that cropped up and layered onto the other "new" symptoms that make up my new normal. Try not to worry about it too much, get it checked of course, but I know of other women who now get heartburn and acid reflux at this magical age. They didn't have it before either. Take it easy smile
    • Posted

I get the back pressure too and at times heartburn. I try not to worry when it happens because it does go away as the day goes on, but its so uncomfortable. I had it checked before and was told all was good, but it wouldn't hurt to have it double checked.
  • Posted

Yes Jamie I get the feeling like it's stuck/going down slowly. I think it is acid reflux. I try not to worry about it now. I previously panicked about it x
    • Posted

I used to panic really bad at first, and went to the ER about it. Was told it was ok. It went away for a while now seems to be back.
  • Posted

Hi I have the food stuck in my throat. Usually I have to bring it back up because I try and swallow but it doesn't move. It's scary like I'm choking. Happened last week were I was eating spaghetti and because I was hungry was not chewing too much. I could feel it stuck in my throat. Then I get panicky.
    • Posted

I hate it. The feeling is so annoying. I try to burp or drink something to move it down and nothing works. It just goes on its own.
  • Posted

Hello Jamie

Funny u should say I thought it was just me

The last couple of days I have been feeling the same when eating. Also random cramp pains and sore lower back like period pain but not had anything for 3 years.

Not sure what it is.

This prob does not help you sorry. X

• Posted

Thats ok. I totally understand. I've never had these issues before until all these crappy symtpoms started. I just went off my period two days ago and back to these crappy feelings.
  • Posted

Yes, and was diagnosed with Gerd . Been taking nexium daily. Had a endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday, and doctor states all looked good, no Gerd! Asked if I could quit taking nexium, and he said yes. Told me to take Zantac(ranitidine) as needed if I had any more episodes. Do any of you suffer with no, or hardly any, appetite, or nausea while having these digestive issues? 
    • Posted

I do. I've lost a lot of weight. I didnt have an appetite at all for a while. Its slowly coming back. But when i feel like my food is stuck, i cant eat. Eating on top of it makes me feel worse.
    • Posted

I haven't had an appetite for awhile. Used tone a big breakfast eater but now don't feel like eating anything. But about 8 pm or so I start getting hungry which isn't good for gerd so close to bedtime.
    • Posted

Me too. I eat a little something in the morning and then I don't get hungry until around 8 or sometimes later.
    • Posted

Yes CC, this is me! During the day, no appetite, have to make myself eat, then feel better at night , get hungry, and usually can eat a lot more! Have told doctors this, they think it's weird. What are you taking for Gerd? Did you take any antibiotics before you got these symptoms? 
    • Posted

Me too, doesn't make sense. Were you on antibiotics prior to this? 
    • Posted

I have protonix but lately I'm taking tums. I did take Cipro a month ago for bladder infection. Might that be a cause?

With gerd I also get these sharp pains about my left or right chest area. If I'm in bed when I get it I can barely move.

I've noticed that the sharp pain is tied to eating greasy foods, white bread or white rice. Without fail I get it after these foods.

• Posted

No antibiotics. I've never had any digestion problems until i started this peri or whatever it is. I have been having symtpoms for the last 7 months. I believe it started when i was 35. I had heavy periods with clotting and messing up clothes every three weeks. Headaches, sore breast, fatigue, numbness in my hands really bad, sore joints, and extreme fatigue. I gained tons of weight and was at the biggest i've ever been. I thought it was normal pms. Then in November of 2015 and im 38 now, all hell broke loose literally. The periods have gotten shorter and lighter, with really no headaches or sore breast. Now i have the horrible gas, dizzy/off balance, hot flushes, cold then hot, itchy dry skin and hair, weird head pressure, racing heart, anxiety, doom and gloom and whatever else you name it, i've felt it. My appetite is finally coming back but i dont feel up to eating until around 8 or so at night. I always seen to feel better in the evening.
    • Posted

I'm thinking Cipro caused all my digestive problems and nerve problems, which in turn caused my gallbladder issue! I got sick from them, quit taking them, and about 2 or 3 weeks later, started feeling unwell. I've been terribly sick since January, with no answers yet. Maybe we have gluten intolerance on top of it? Don't remember, did you have your gallbladder out? 
    • Posted

Yes Jamie, always feel better in the evening. Very strange  I don't get it at all. I have so many symptoms, but don't know what is menopause, and what is not! 
    • Posted

Interesting you bring up gluten intolerance. I went to naturopath the other day and even though my test said I was negative she said there are false negatives with this test and to try and avoid it and see how I do.

I do need to get my gallbladder out. In doing ultrasound for my stomachs issues they found a mass in my gb but waiting on that til I feel more sane.

• Posted

Let me know how you do. Mas in gallbladder? That sounds scary! You should get that out ASAP! 
    • Posted

Ive had everything tested a dozen times. Ive had 8 ER visits, 2 overnight hospital stays, and 4 doctor visits. Cleared of everything except im anemic, borderline hypertention and low on Vit D. So I chalk all the rest up to hormones.
    • Posted

It's not right what menopause does to us!  We need some help for all this! Not making us feel crazy and blowing us off! 
    • Posted

The doctor said most of the time it's a stone but because this peri has really hit me hard I didn't think I could cope just yet.
    • Posted

Yes it is! Let me know how you do and what you decide. 
    • Posted

Hi Cincal....i had gallbladder out 2 years ago. I had an attack out of the blue and was scheduled for surgery 3 months later. After the attack I felt ok so didn't want the surgery but lucky I did! I had a stone the size of a golfball and next attack would have been emergency. I was home next day and haven't had trouble since.

You should get it done as soon as you are up to it...its one less thing to worry about smile

• Posted

I get those sometimes as well. You are right, i do notice it after eating certain foods. Im going to have to go back to watching what i eat. I was so excited to have an appetite that when im hungry, i just eat. But obviously going to have to watch what I eat.
    • Posted

I'll do it once I feel a bit more stable. I found out right in the middle of all these peri stuff about 10 months ago and could not handle anything more. Right now I'm having to deal with my neck turning (torticollis)

As a priority. I've never had so many symptoms occurring at the same time!

• Posted

I understand Cincal....you have to be in the right space....on my bad days I just want to come home and shut the foor...i can't deal with anything.

I have my first mammogram on Monday and i am hoping its a good day not an anxious one....also hope its ok rolleyes

• Posted

Oh I know what you mean about hoping its a good day. Everyday it's different. It's so hard for me to make appointments even if it's just a haircut not knowing how I'll feel that day.

Good luck with the mammo.

I have a neck MRI later today. My brain MRI didn't show anything in regards to my neck tilting so next test is neck. Sigh...

• Posted

Good luck with the neck MRI. At least if you get all the checks done and all come back ok it means its got to be hormonal! Even though doctors don't seem to get it.

Having bad indigestion again today. Its my own fault though...i had enchiladas for dinner last night...and now I am paying for it lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.