Stuck in my head

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

It's been 12 weeks on 20mg and I feel like I'm stuck in my head with intrusive thoughts nothing suicidle just negative thinking people don't like me etc could these meds be coursing these thoughts ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Don,

Those are lies going on in your head. You need to replace them with truth. Write out truths on 3x5 cards and when the negative thoughts start up, start reading your cards and read them aloud. Don't believe the lies!! I am sure there are many people who love you and care about you.Β 

Sissy

• Posted

Hi Don, be patient and I am sure these feelings will subside with time. I still have the odd wobbly moment, but try not to let it hinder your getting better. I am sure it's the meds settling and will lift in a while. Until then try and keep busy enough to not worry about what other people think. Like Sissy said I am sure there are many people who care about you. Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee this if a rough ride the intrusive thoughts are driving me mad no matter what I do I can't stop them πŸ™πŸΏ
  • Posted

Hi Don,

That's the meds! Had exactly the same and then I realised that I was wasting time looking within when the cr*p is without. Most (if not all) of my own problems were caused by people not me. It becomes difficult to rid yourself of such thoughts as they do tend to multiply because yer at such a low ebb. I decided to ignore them by doing something completely different, for example, if I was in bed woken early by a vivid dream or dreams, I would lie awake only to have those intrusive thoughts creeping in. So, the only thing to do was get up and get on with the dishes or work on the laptop, come here and see if I could help or be helped.

Nowadays and I still get the odd dreams and thoughts, I get on with things and tell em where to go (sometimes out loud which can be a tad awkward for others, but not often as company does take yer mind off things), that has helped me deal with such cr*p.

As you can see again Don you aren't alone already have some great advice!

Enjoy yer day, make it so!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks David

It's seems a lot of people get this problem I'm just going to have to ride this s... Out and hope things get better with time do u think 12 weeks is still early for these thoughts to be gone ?

• Posted

Hang in there Don! Week 14 in progress and starting to feel the small but positive changes. Keep busy, and keep in touch, and don't doubt that you are on the right Med at the right dose. Let your doctor decide that. You are doing a great job, so don't be discouraged. Things will start looking up soon. Lee .
    • Posted

Cheers lee

That's just what I needed on a Monday morning πŸ˜€ Hope your well WE WILL be there soon πŸ˜€

• Posted

Yes Don, we are going to be just fine. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰. Patience even on the crappy days, and there may well be a few. Just put one foot in front of the other and know that every week makes a difference. Cheers, Lee.
    • Posted

Morning Don,

Yes, I do think it is still early for you. Some lucky people since I joined this site, though only one or two if me memory serves me right, seemed to pass this stage sooner. However, it is that old saying "everyone is different" so, I would try not to worry too much about it and get on with moving forward. Do not try to be "yer old self" or "get back to normal" again because those are some of the reasons we are here.

It is a new year and new decisions have to be made the future can be brighter and better if we know where we have been and most us will agree that was not a good place for any of us!

The important thing to do is keep readin and keep posting and even though I have been here a while it is still my life line to sanity! Not a way back!

Keep in touch and good luck!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Cheers David

The doctors haven't got a clue about these drugs they say take this pill and you will feel better in a few weeks and I think that doesn't help us at all because that's what we expect which puts us back when it doesn't happen joke anyway I'm going to stick it out at 20mg for a bit longer and see how things go πŸ˜€

• Posted

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸΏπŸ‘πŸΏπŸ’ͺ🏿πŸ’ͺ🏿 keep strong πŸ‘ŠπŸΏ
  • Posted

Hi Don

Ignore jane's cruel post, she is talking c+++. Β I've been on meds, including citalopram, for years and its saved my life on countless times. Β Don't ever give up, if things don't get better, go back to your psych or gp, I had to be upped to 40mg a day to get a good result. Β I also take risperidone, an antipsychotic, which is brilliant for intrusive thoughts, totally eliminated mine. Β I was diagnosed as bipolar II in 1998, been stable since about 2005 when they finally got me sorted, Β meds are my saviour. I have never incidentally, since 1999, misseda dose, going off and on them makes them less effective.

LOve

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Thanks for that Lizzie

I feel if I can get rid of these intrusive thoughts I would feel a lot better it the thoughts that are holding me back going in to 13 week now hoping thing get better soon don't really want to up dose πŸ˜€

• Posted

You're welcome Don, I really hope you feel much better very soon. Β I started on 20mg citalopram, having been moved fro m prozac, which did ntohing for me, them was increased to 60mg, then dropped back to 40mg when I was orted. Β I accept that I'll be on them for life, but it took ages of trial and error to arrive at a combination that got me right.

I don't know how good your realtionship is with your psychiatrist, even if you have one, but it might be worth asking them to cosnider anti psychotic like risperidone, but of course, when you start you have a whole new bundle of side effects to cope with until they settle you.

Intrusive thoughts can be symtomatic of a number of conditions such as OCD, bipolar and in the worst cases, schizo-affctive disporder and schizophrenia, though I think in these latter cases they tend to be accompanied by hallucinations and delusions. Β Just might be worth a bit more investigatio

I should add, I have no medical training, just talking from personal experinece and having spent five weeks in a psychiatric unti in 1999

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Thanks I don't have a psychiatrist just my gp who is useless I'm just going to give cit a bit longer and if no joy go back and see my gp thanks for your advice πŸ˜€

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.