Stuck Kidney Stones for Months

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a 5mm Kidney Stone. Pain was mild when it first started (I went to the ER because I was more scared and didn't know what it was than in pain). It hurt, but I was overall lucky with it. However, after visiting a urologist a week after it happened, and he told me how low of a chance it had of getting stuck, it got stuck. So all my luck went out the window with that. 

I visited a general doctor who is a kidney stone sufferer himself and he claimed as long as I can carry on doing every day tasks with the stone not getting in the way, I'm fine to leave it and not go through with any process (lazering) to remove it. And my pain (if you wanna call it that), is so mild, I would call it an annoyance more than anything. And I'll go days without feeling anything whatsoever before it comes back.

However, it's kinda stressful knowing it's there, I'd like it out, obviously, withot going through any sort of process requiring tubes/lazers going into holes I'd prefer them to stay out of. 

What are the chances this thing eventually passes on its own? I've taken my leftover flowmax pills the past 4 days before I slept and it didn't seem to help. 

(Ironically, at the time of posting this, is the first time in months I would say my kidney stone is actually hurting, nothing unbearably, but I would refer to it as pain now)

I have one more flowmax pill I can take that I'm planning on staying awake for as soon as my coffee effects run out since I don't want to combine the energy with the lightheadedness I get from the flowmax. 

I'm also wondering if this pain could be the stone finally moving on (and hopefully not just repositioning causing pain)

Sorry for pointless ranting, but any information would be helpful.

Thank you!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Nvm, I just passed it after first going to the ER on May 5th, and now it's July 18th. Lol. All my questions answered.

• Posted

I passed a 5mm stone, but it takes awhile. Some people have the pain and their stone comes out right after, but I've never had only one episode of pain. As long as you don't get an infection, you are fine letting the stone pass on its own. Mine was stuck in my urethra for a few days until it finally worked its way out. And keep in mind it took months before it even got that far before it came out the ureter. So I would wait and let it come out because getting surgery to remove it with lasers is seriously no picnic. I had pain from the stents they put in after that was as bad as my worst kidney stone. Plus anesthesia and all that has more risk than letting the stone come out on its own.

• Posted

Did u have dark urine because this sounds a lot of what I'm dealing with but my urine gets dark yellow or orange color but if I drink water I clears up

• Posted

Man, does that mean that you thought you had it with you for months? Or effectively you had it with you for month til it passed?

Because I'm in the exact same situation, this doesn't bother me at all (just some times you feel the micturition), but I have it there for sure regard to the images I took. It's not cutting the flow, the kidneys look normal in the images. But same as you, I don't want procedures, my wallet have more fear than me.

• Posted

I have a 5mm right now in my urethra and I need help to get it out I don't want to do the surgery am scared

• Posted

If the stone is really stuck then surgery may be the only way of getting rid of it.

They may be able to do keyhole surgery like they did with me. It really is not that bad and it feels great to be rid of it.

You will feel much better afterwards.

Sarah

• Posted

Well I don't even know if I have a stone yet or not whatever it is don't feel too good my right side of my back my rib cage my stomach then I feel sick on my stomach a lot just dull pains not really bad pains have had a tremendous amount of stress in my life for about the past 6 months lot of things going on Plus my dad was diagnosed with cancer and that was a shock to us and then about 3 months later he died we just buried him last weekend and I lost my best friend and why all this is going on I've been having pain and different kind of symptoms I guess it could even be your double bowel I don't know that much about it but anyway I'm going for a ultrasound Friday of my kidneys and liver and all they did say I had a fatty liver

• Posted

I don't know what is going on with me but for the last 5 or 6 months hurting in my right side in kidney area and now in my side and right side of my stomach, my urine gets dark but my urine tests is always OK, ,don't understand. It's not bad pain but it aggravates. Was told that I had a fatty liver but they acted as if that mention nothing. Believe me I don't want a kidney stone but if I was told that that's what it was I would be happy and I would do what my dad was told to do years ago that worked for him. I took him to the emergency room he was bent over with pain and was told he had kidney stones we had to go to my grandmothers funeral and the man that dug the grave said that an old man told him when he had stones to get some asparagus and blend it up with water and drink a couple glasses a day and if it's calcium Stones asparagus dissolves calcium or makes it like jello and easy to pass. My dad on the way home stopped and got him some mixed it up started drinking it and that was about 15 years ago and he never went back to the doctor about any more kidney stones

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.