Stuff with pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am nearly at one-year anniversary 17th and have had really no issues that were odd or unexpected until now. The last two weeks began doing elliptical settings at 6 -8 for vertical and 12 for resistance. I don't just for 1 hour 5 days a week. Went out just to walk today limei use too but knee is in moderate pain. I see surgeon on Friday but I am wondering if anyone has insight as to why now there is pain while walking. So nervous about this.

I think this week I will moderate elliptical to much less resistance to see if that helps. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Knee pain and swelling are indicators that you did too much.  Back off, recover and resume gradually.  One problem is the elliptical...if that's all you do.  There is no issue with using the elliptical to keep your knee active, maintain your ROM and get a good cardio work out.  However, it doesn't directly impact the necessary rebuilding of your quads, glutes, core, hip flexors and more.  That takes weight training...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

You have to rebuild all those dead muscles and get them back into top shape.  This takes pressure off the knee and puts it back on the surrounding musculature.  Your knee is telling you something...listen...

• Posted

Thank you so much! I guess after walking so much doing a little weight training through this last year and tons of walking I thought I had rebuilt but perhaps not. I will definitely lighten up on elliptical and mix in some more weight training. 

The pain ain’t I had today walking second mile was intense. Worst I have had since surgery so it was a wake up call. Just when I thought I was through the woods this episode happens. sad appreciate your responsesmile

• Posted

It not about distance or time...it's about STEPS.  Get a fit bit or other pedometer.  Track your steps and use the software to chart your progress.  Doing a "second mile" is not the way to advance.  Doing an extra 100, 300, 500 steps is.  It's all about the STEPS!!!  If you have "balloon knee" one day, note the exact number or steps that pushed you over the line.  Back off, recover, increase gradually...

• Posted

Hi Chico,

I guess I wasn't very clear in my post sorry about that. I have a Fitbit and have managed 1000s of steps without much incident. Just last two weeks went to gym instead of walking outside due to weather conditions. It's since doing elliptical pain kicked in when walking what I had already been doing for months. That's why it's somewhat disturbing because I was told elliptical is good for knee due to little to no impact. 

I hope this makes more sense. LOL I did 35 minutes instead of 60 today and at lighter tension in hopes knee will be happier when walking. 

• Posted

I'm, 5 months tkr and have had no real issues but on occasions knee has ached but I know why. Previous day did walk for 2hrs which is a no no. Common sense should have kicked in but I thought I could do it. Always listen to your knee if it's aching you've done too much rest relax and ice. Good luck I keep the thought this time next Yr it'll be fab. X

• Posted

Walking is never measured in time or distance...only the number of STEPS matters.  Get a fit bit or other pedometer and track your steps...chart you progress with the device's software.  When your knee swells, note the steps.  That's your upper limit for a little while.  Back off, recover and increase gradually.  Remember...STEPS are the key to increasing your capabilities and avoiding "balloon knee"...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.