Stupid mistake

Posted , 7 users are following.

Did something silly over the weekend and now am a bit worried I may have done some damage. Went to sit in the corner of my friends sofa and completely forgot my operated knee was my right so knelt on the sofa then tucked my leg under me and sat down. The pain and swelling were immediate although did settle down slightly with tablets and sleep but the outside of my knee which has been numb up to now feels bruised and is really painful and very tight and I am struggling with my bend from straight it feels like my knee will burst out of the side :-( can't believe I odd something so stupid 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I doubt if you did more than a super stretch. I suspect many do something like that. A mistake like that helps you find religion in a hurry as it scares the hell out of you. You'll be a little extra achy for awhile. Last year I had the TK revision and the day after the surgery I was trying to show my expertise as to recovery program and fell twisting the bad leg and wound up on the floor with my leg and body in a figure 4, breaking the femur at a 20 degree angle requiring a next day surgery that called for an18" plate inserted next to the bone from hip to knee. 4 -2* screws were inserted through the steel plate into the knee and 4 screws all the way through the femur (2 above and 2 below the break). I had to go to acrehad facility as my wife has Parkinson's and couldn't offer the care I needed at home. One day I was on a great machine that allows you to move the pedals and stretch the knee by pushing the upper arms. You have to be gentle and slow and know when to stop. Everything was going great rill I was getting ready to dismount and not paying attention. Instead of grabing the solid handle and pulling my entire body up I grabbed the handle that yanked my knee back  hard, very, very hard. I lwt out a horrifying scream scaring the hell out of the other 10 patients and 6 therapists in the room

I nearly went into shock but...........no damage to the prosthesis or soft tissue. I never considered myself a fast learner but you can rest assured I never did that again

• Posted

It really scared me and my friend and is still worrying me slightly as where it was numb before is now very tender to touch but thank you for the reassurance and can I just say ouch and glad your ok xx
  • Posted

Dont know how long it is since your op Joanne but I am nearly six months since my TKR and still forgetting I have a knee that I cant kneel down on. The other day I decided to do some really thorough cleaning and got right down on the floor so that I was kneeling on my good knee. Unfortunately I completely forgot I then had to get up. I was stuck as I couldnt push myself up. I crawled ungainly to my setee and pushed myself up that way. I was so upset because I thought I was getting back to normal. I just want to be able to do what I could before. I am waiting for my appointment to have the other knee done. Does this mean I will never be able to kneel down again.? So disheartening.

• Posted

This same thing happened to me yesterday... i  sat on my bedroom floor to sort out shoes in bottom of wardrobe.... sat there for about 15 mins... then it came to getting up... I rolled over to my good knee... so far so good... but when I tried to bring my weight on to operated leg... WOW!!   painful... so I had to shuffle over to the bed... which is quite high... put a pillow on the floor... grabbed onto the handle at the side of the mattress and  somehow got up into my feet... thankfully no one was home to witness this spectacle.... :-D
  • Posted

i can feel the pain for you , done it my self makes your eyes water , keep iceing it , dont really think you will have done any damage but if it worries you just visit your gp ,they will put your mind at rest .
  • Posted

Hi Joanne, 

sorry to hear what happened, I know exactly how you feel as I fell down 6 stairs on

Saturday with my grandson in my arms!!

i initially thought I was ok but as the weekend went on my knee got more painful, 

It feels bruised and looks more swollen?

I am going to see if I can get someone to check it out at the hospital today?

If you don't feel any better this morning I suggest you do the same?

Good luck!!

Pauline.

• Posted

I am nearly 12 wks post op and still can't kneel.  Knee still very swollen both atside and behind.  Whole leg aches from hip,to ankle going back to see gp on Wednesday as I can't sleep because of the pain
    • Posted

dont really want to say this but didnt they tell you that most people cant ever kneel again so dont worrie about that side , are you still iceing ?
    • Posted

The thing is I know I can't kneel and am not allowed to. It wasn't something that I did to test it out or on purpose it was a complete accident I was tired and went to sit down as I normally do who his to kneel on my good knee and swivel round lifting my bad leg last. I got confused and put my right(bad) leg first without even thinking and forgetting that that was my bad leg. I'm still using ice but am going to the gp today as it is still really painful that side to touch 
    • Posted

poor you , that must have hurt lots , it should be ok but you are better getting it checked , sorry didnt read your first blog wasthinking you were trying to do some thing and was getting upset because you couldnt , that must have been worse than trying to see if you can , hope its oh x
    • Posted

Well fresh back from the gp he says he doesn't think I've done any damage but am not going back to work tomorrow as I had hoped he has told me to rest ice and painkillers and if it gets any worse to go to a and e so back to being bored and resting at home :-( 
    • Posted

thats great news ,and your better staying away from work while it settles down again , 6 weeks is very quick to get back to work , what do you do , my gp said i had to have 12 weeks off , post op but i do a heavy  job, that im on my feet all day , really looking forward to going back though ,and it wont be long for you and all this will behind us as a memorie , take care xx  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.