stupid worry on scale of things..

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi.  I have been lurking for a few weeks and have found a wealth of information on THR. Thank you.  I am on list for a total right hip replacment, I am 55 and had a childhood hip problem, which was pinned at 12 and quite good overall til about 5 years ago, and then it deteriorated badly over last year. I dont have a date but I am on the list.  I am pretty terrified, but looking forward to hopefully being without this constant, at best nagging pain, at worst you all know the story... anyway on the scale of things this might turn out to be a daft or pointless worry. The one thing that is really freaking me out is the though of a urinary catheter. To the point I dont want visitors until it is out as I find it so embarrasing. also unpleasant for husband and daughter. It just gives me the heeby jeebies! I had a caesarian and had one then and as well as it felt horrible coming out I ended up with infection. Did everyone have catheter or does it depend on type of aneasthetic, spinal block etc... sorry to be a woose.    

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I live in North London, had a spinal anaesthetic for hip last July. I didn't have a catheter, or any drains etc. I drank masses of water, and went to the loo on my own, using a walking frame about 4 hours after my op. It was all fine. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Samantha I read your posts over last few days and read you were on the other side. It must be such a releif and you can start recovery. Glad to hear it all went well and you are home already. I feel quite reassured i wont likely have a catheter. Fingers crossed. I do hope my appointment arrives soon. Thanks again everyone. Very supportive. So glad to have contact with people who have been thru.x
    • Posted

It actually is quite miraculous in how THR got rid of the constant pain in my hip . 3 months on I'm doing well so try to be reassured by all the comments . Keep us posted and hope date comes through soon .

• Posted

afraid so in my case two yrs since last surgery, I was on continuing spinal block for the first 24 hours post surgery, I am in Queensland, even the next morning when phsyios arrived it was an exercise to get me on my feet, with all the extra tubes, drip pole with computer attached, leg pumps to keep my circulation going, and cathelter, but staff used to dealing with these things.

i did develop an infection but more antibiotics dealt with that.

probably developed an infection because of immunine suppressing drugs I take for systemic arthiritis, there was always that fear with me, but Dr's said they had dealt with it before and would this time as well.

Grandson was so curious, when he came to see me followoing day, asked lots of questions about what was this and what was that, just completly honest with him, and he accepted that instead of using toilet, Nana was using a bag. If we had tried to cover anything up there would have just been more questions.

He was so lovely, soooo amazed that I still had both legs, I think he had some idea that Nana was going to be missing a leg, again explained to him in the hospital, tapped the bed frame, and said its made of steel, yes he nodded, well the new part of nans leg is now steel because bone was rotten, that seemed to satisfy him, he then looked at my crutches, and said when can I have those, that raised a laugh from all in the room.

• Posted

I had a catheter after my THR, and it was a good thing, too. I had a difficult time post-op, and couldn't walk to the bathroom, even with walking aids, for 3 days. And I was in pretty good shape before the surgery. They took the catheter out after one day, and then I used a commode by the bed for a day, and then they had to use a device (I forget the name) to get me to the bathroom after that. I was in the hospital for 4 nights. I didn't feel it coming out at all when it was removed, and it's presence wasn't obvious for that first day. I was so out of it, that I didn't notice much of anything.

I requested one for my second hip surgery, which was to repair torn gluteal tendons, 15 months after my THR. Again, I had a difficult time post-op (in the hospital for 5 nights) and was very glad that I didn't have to get up to go to the bathroom right away. Standing by my bedside was enough activity for me. Also, I had a compression fracture in a vertebra a couple of months before the second surgery, and my back was very iffy. I couldn't have handled having a bedpan put under me.

I loved my catheters!

• Posted

I'm in the U.S.

• Posted

Yes, that one worries many people.  I had a THR Oct 2015, and revision Jan 2016. Didn't get a catheter either time, except that following the revision I coul not pass water (very painful), so had to ask to have one put in.  Very embarassing for me to have a lady doctor and female nurse I can tell you, but of course so routine for them.  

Sure, having the bag was a slight inconvenience for about 24 hours, then they took it all out again.   I think it's all in our heads really - it wouldn't bother me if I ever had to have one again.   The relief from the pain was well worth a couple of minute's embarassment.  It made it so much easier, I didn't have to keep getting up every hour of the night, and for you ladies must be so much easier than using a bed-pan.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Oh and, yes, it's a silly thing to worry about, but once the worry has planted itself in your brain, it sits there and blows itself up out of all proportion.  

Just remember, any worries, however big or small, air them on this forum, the people here are so supportive, we all understand what you are going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.