Sub clinical Hypothyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted a discussion on here a week or so ago about heart palpitations and feeling lightheaded, went for ECG (nothing showed up so that's good) and a blood test last week.  Had results today, they said I have slightly high levels of TSH(?) which was 6.7, and apparently it should be between 0.27 - 4.2, so they described it as Sub clinical Hypothyroidism.  They said they are not too concerned and that I need to come back in 3 months for another blood test to see if anything has changed.  The other thing they test for apparently came back within the normal levels.

Just wondering really if I should be concerned, or if this slightly elevated level is reasonable normal?

Thanks in advance smile

Sophie.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you?

They tested your Thyroid to look for hyperthyroidism - ironically they have found subclinical hypothyroidism.

This isn't something to be worried about - it just needs to be monitored.

Overall - they havn't found an explanation for your episodes.

How often do the episodes happen?

How long do they last for?

Do you get any warning its about to happen?

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Do you smoke, drink or use RD?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I am 31.

I do smoke and drink a little.  It feels like a weird anxiety in my chest/base of my throat but it is not like any anxiety feeling I have had before.  It's like I need to take a really deep breath but that doesn't help.  I have been feeling loads better over the past few days but do feel a little lightheaded at times still.  Nothing in particular (i.e. smoking, drinking) seems to bring it on, it is completely random.  I have now just put it down to a slightly higher than normal level of TSH (I think that's the right term!).  It can last for ages sometimes, like all evening, or all morning for example.  

• Posted

It's hard to say for sure.. but it's great that your doctor is going to keep an eye on it.  Are you having any other symptoms besides heart palpitations?  Even if not.. the heart palpitations can be caused from the slightly high TSH.  When my TSH goes to 5.00 or higher, I myself get heart palpitations.  If your TSH is still high in 3 months, for your next test, then I would say that you are most likely going to need a T4 replacement medication such as levothyroxine.  You may just be headed towards hypothyroidism or you may not.  There is always the possibility that it will go back down and that will be the end of it, but again.. if it does not go back down, then you will most likely need medication for life.  It's great your doctors are watching it and not just shrugging it off..

• Posted

Thank you, yes I am happy they took it all seriously and hopefully in three months there will be no change/it will have gone down.  Obviously would rather not take any medication (but if necessary of course I will) - I read that Levothyroxine can cause hair thinning/loss so as my hair is already incredibly thin and fine I would hate for this to make it worse.  I guess the only other symptoms I have are always feeling cold, but I've always been like that! I wouldn't say I have found it hard to either gain or lose weight either. 

• Posted

The levothyroxine itself does not cause the hair thinning, it's the changing of your thyroid levels.  It's only temporary until your body gets use to the change of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) and it doesn't happen to everyone.  Hair thinning from the hypothyroidism itself, will be greater then what the medication causes.  Well.. anyway, I hope it won't even come down to the need for medication and I hope that everything works out good for you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.