Sub mucosal lipoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering with bad haemorrhoids for the past couple of years. A few weeks ago I visited my GP as I have had several episodes of bleeding which usually last about five days. He gave me a digital rectal examination and advised me that I had a small smooth lump in the rectum. He put me on the two week hospital referral but said I shouldn't worry as most problems like this turn out to be non cancerous.

A few weeks later I underwent a colonoscopy and whilst my colon was completely clear of any signs of cancer, the endoscopist wrote on his report "query sub mucosal lipoma" in respect of the lump. He said that he was referring me for an endoscopic ultrasound scan to further investigate the lump.

A few weeks later I received a letter from the gastro consultant advising me that the colonoscopy was satisfactory and no further investigation was required.

Having googled sub mucosal lipoma, i am led to believe this is a benign fatty cyst which is generally harmless but if allowed to grow, could potentially obstruct the bowel and require emergency surgery.

I am concerned that the endoscopist used the word "query" which I take to mean that he wasnt sure that it was a lipoma and further investigation was required to confirm this, but the consultant seems to think otherwise.

Should I now sit back and wait in the hope that the lump doesnt get bigger, or possibly be something more serious?

Another concern I have is with the frequent bleeding from my rectum, is it possible to get an infection in my blood from the nasty bacteria in the bowel?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I read what you wrote and has your General Practitioner prescribed any statins to lower your cholesterol ? Were you prescribed any medications or referred to a dietitian to identify any foods you should be avoiding ? Any kind of bleeding is serious and I too would be alarmed and concerned. My Father came from a family of 11 brothers, including him 12 . Out of the twelve brothers 3 died from colon cancer and two from infections in which all of them had been diagnosed with sub mucosal lymphoma . MALT lymphoma (MALToma) is a form of lymphoma involving the mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT), frequently of the stomach, but virtually any mucosal site can be afflicted. It is a cancer originating from B cells in the marginal zone of the MALT, and is also called extranodal marginal zone B celllymphoma. See your GP immediately !!!!

• Posted

I have been on statins for many years due to previous heart bypass surgery.

Yesterday I visited my GP again as I have been bleeding for over two weeks. We discussed the colonoscopy report and he advised me that the lipoma was just a harmless fatty cyst which can occur anywhere on the body. I shouldnt be too concerned but he suggested I write to the consultant to ask for further clarification.

My GP suggested I keep a high fibre diet and has prescribed a daily fibre drink. This should keep my stools soft to avoid irritation to the bleeding site which is still thought to be haemorrhoids.

If after four weeks the bleeding continues, he will refer me to hospital to for haemorrhoid procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.