Sub-talar joint fusion and pain.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had surgery in November. Had the cast removed in early January and was put into an air boot. I complained to my Dr that I cant put any weight on my foot at all without being in excruciating pain, especially pain in my heal. Dr says it takes time. I get its suppose to hurt but this is a bit much. Even my calf aches all the time. Will the pain stop? Is this normal? I think something's wrong.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my ankle surgery late Nov..I could not weight bear till 8 wks. if it hurts that much in the boot you should not be weight bearing Just cause you have a boot on does not mean you should be bearing weight on your foot yet.. I had a boot on but still could not bear weight till 8 weeks in...right now its Feb and I am just bearing weight on it with using a walker..on the internet there are videos on partial weight ..you go from 25% to 100% 8n time..check again with your dr..if it is that painful you are not ready..they does xrays to make sure it has healed before any weight bearing..hope this helps

• Posted

Hi, I was going to say the same, the xray should show how much healing has taken place. Do expect to be in the boot for at least 4 months. Good luck. I'm having a revision of my sub-talar joint in 2 weeks time! The first operation, after 7 months is a non-union! So Ive got to go through the whole process again. But if you are in a lot of pain in another month than really asked to have some xrays to make sure, either its healing or not.

Maryke

• Posted

It's early days please be gentle with yourself.

As yourself I was very worried cozz pain,

The advice I was given was 500 mill paracetamol, ibrofen 200 I was taking real Stoped the pain.

Don't move it keep boot on I did and after the three month it started to improve.

With the swelling I Elavated the foot buy putting it on a pillow it improved the swelling a marvellous amount.

Move my toes as mutch as four times a day like a excersize it helps to keep things supple.

Soon as the healing on the outside was good I started useing avenno cream for the dry skin. Applyed all over foot.

Six month's in I can move foot and walk sill some swelling after a few hrs but getting so mutch better..

Take care and rest and elavate.

Five internal screws I had and two breaks and dislocation.

Respects Mark

• Posted

Hi gerard94338

After my ankle fusion and six weeks in a cast my surgeon told me to start wearing a boot and that my ankle will 'tell' me if I can put weight on it or not. I started in the boot on crutches and got rid of them after 12 days. I am now a month in the boot and I walk around without any assistance, sometimes 100% painless. Lately I noticed that I also have a painful heal, especially on the outside of my heal. Lots of tissue and swelling going on there as well.

I was operated on 20 November 2019 and got rid of the cast 31 December...but kept the ankle safely in the boot non weight bearing for another four days. ..just could not face going into the new year with a cast..lol!. I technically have 13 days before I can send x-rays to my surgeon for his decision regarding the status of my ankle and weather it has healed sufficiently to try walking without a boot. I have been up-and-about the last 14 days..maybe a little too much and I can feel it in my ankle. It does take time and patience. I do walk bare foot for short distances (to the bathroom etc.) but that is when the pain in the heal is most prominent.

I have thought of the possibility of a shortening Achilles tendon to be the cause of the pain, but not sure. Worst fear is a possible other joint not working well and causing the pain. Difficult to know where the pain in my ankle came from before the operation, so maybe more than one cause of pain...I hope not.

I suppose one just has to take it one-step-at-a-time...no pun intended.

Please keep in touch so that we can compare our healing processes. I am 57 years old.

Regards

Leon

SA

• Posted

Hey Leon

Thanks for your response. it seems we are at the exact same place. The heel pain is the absolute worst for me. I go for xrays on the 11th. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

had the same opp

very painful for fist 3 months

it is very early days for you so dont worry to much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.