Subacromial Impingement before and after Distal Clavicle Resection

Posted , 2 users are following.

Anyone have any experience with this?  According to some sources, a Distal Clavicle Resection will accompany a subacromial decompression for the impingement if the AC joint is found to be arthritic.  Seems like the degree of resection would negate benefits of a subacromial decompression because of the induced instability from cutting off the end of the clavicle inside the AC capsule.  In my mind, an extensive distal clavicle resection is effectively the equivalent of an AC ligament separation.  AC separations have been noted as a cause scapular dyskinesis, which in itself has been associated with shoulder impingement.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had this surgery. The decompression part was removing bone spurs from the bottom of my AC joint to allow the tendons to move freely. The excision prevented the distal clavicle from rubbing together, which would just result in more bone spurs.  It's been 8 months and I'm so glad I did it. I feel so much better.  I def don't feel any instability in my shoulder. The amount they excise is very small...certain motions that jam that joint together are not comfortable, but don't hurt anymore. I am back to doing yoga supporting my weight and lifting light weights, and kayaking again...something I hadn't been able to do for years. Good luck

• Posted

You say you now have certain motions that are uncomfortable but are now painless, correct?  Were you diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the AC joint prior to the surgery?  I though I read somewhere that arthrosis of the AC joint can cause subacromial impingement (which can cause subacromial bone spur formation).  If you don't mind my asking, does your clavicle on your injured side seem to move more relative to your acromion as opposed to your uninjured side?  And does your shoulder seems to rest differently now (if that makes any sense)?  As far as the amount resected, it definitely varies from a few mm to a few cm.  I speculate it's largely up whatever doctors' mentors taught them do.  

It is definitely good to hear you are able to do the things you previously couldn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.