subacromial Whatsit !!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had the surgery three weeks ago, O.K Two small holes and not a lot of pain. Went for physio one week later .He never laid a finger on me ,just asked questions, and

made me show him my movement prowess. Has anyone else had Verbal Physio??? My shoulder now,, would match a Sumo wrestler's in size..Don't know if this is normal !!!Just taking the odd Paracetamol when I get a twinge

The Do Not Use  is a bit awkward   as I am left handed. and it's the left shoulder that is needs mothering. .Does anyone use pain creams to help the  muscle pain.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline. I had rotator cuff surgery on July 2nd and spent 6 weeks in an immobilizer sling - so you cannot move the shoulder. The first 6 weeks are for the surgery to heal - so no active movement is allowed - just very minor exercises. The hard work for me began after the sling came off. You make no mention of a sling?
    • Posted

Hello. had the rotary cuff tarted up three years ago,, brilliant ,no pain .no sling, just a good bashing workouts from a bossy but good physio. I also had acupuncture/ This time ,No sling, but I did use it when it ached. .Funny physio, all verbal !!!!  ODD to say the least
  • Posted

Hi, my surgery was 9 weeks ago. For the first 6 wks i wore asling night and day and had basic physio exercises given to me in hospital to keep the had and elbow free. At 6 wks, after checks and manual manipulation by the physio i had the exercises changed to help mobility of the shoulder. I’m now on strengthening exercises. I hope this helps . 
    • Posted

you must have had more surgery than me ,Advice was ....to start exercises as soon as the nerve block wore off.Needless to say ..that did not happen.. but now 4 weeks on I'm fairly good, at least I can fasten my bra now, without yelping.Time ,as they say ,is a great healer 

• Posted

Hello again ..10 weeks now ,and not a lot of difference .Huge swelling still,, looks as though it's for keeps. Muscle under shoulder joined in to hurt with certain movements. Did you get a call back to see the surgeon ??? Haven't even had any paper physio sent. Yes indeed !!!!! I feel REALLY cared for ,,,,NOT !!!You O.K now???

Jacqueline ,one armed bandit..

• Posted

Hi...I used Diclofenac 1% gel for pain.  It is a gel you rub on your shoulder (requires prescription)   It helps a lot with inflammation.  A lot of people use it for arthritis, but I found it helpful for my shoulder.  I am unable to take any anti inflammatory drugs so this worked great for me.  Good luck.  Hang on, you are very early in your recovery.
    • Posted

Bet you aren't a granny !!!! I don't do any prescription drugs, body says NO to everything but 

Paracetamol. I have been using herbal rub in's, but not that good. This machine is helping movement  ,funnily enough ,it does make my shoulder hurt .as it is doing now,,, so bye for now..

• Posted

Hi again Jacqueline - forgot to say my all time 'must have' rub/ointment is Deep Freeze Gel. I find it way better than Deap Heat and am never without it! ?

• Posted

Morning ..yes, I know it's early. so here I am in bed with a coffee.Quick frisk of shoulder----- still swollen, and hurting where I didn't expect it to .I need a gel .or cream without Ibuprofen  found one called Movelat, Bromelain is also good for pain relief ,arthritis sufferers use it., just swallow it. and it's herbal. I have a physio appointment on Thursday, but I think I will ring first ,to see if it's going to be another VERBAL session. if it is I can't see the point, so .I won't be going.frown 

• Posted

I had frozen shoulder & thus subacromial surgery in my right shoulder and it was a breeze compared to the rotator cuff surgery I had on my left shoulder. I was in a sling for a day and immediately started feeling better. It took about a year for full recovery but I only needed a couple of weeks of p/t (this after a year of p/t before he finally told me to get the surgery), The size of your shoulder doesn't sound normal to me and you should probably ask your p/t or your doctor.

• Posted

Also, the diclofenic gel is great. Some doctors wait a few weeks until after the surgery before prescribing it because there is evidence that it may slow down recovery.

• Posted

Hello ,,,,,final update on "BIG " shoulder .Saw the consultant ,explained and showed him the Sumo shoulder ,the enlarged and painful muscles , from shoulder to elbow, Was told "that's it "

it's here to stay,just carry on with what you are doing,,,,, yelping ,and ouching, and wary of over using the arm, because if the tear that is there ,really tears ,I will have a hanging arm. One good thing ,the tendon that he totally sliced in half ,now means I can put my hand on my hip,

He SACKED me ,so I am on my own ..I do find wearing one of those stretchy circular bandages

that I wear shoulder to wrist ,does help,,, a lot.

hH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.