subarachnoid haemorrhage

Posted , 4 users are following.

firsly like many i presume, im still in shock that this has happened to me.. i concidered myself fit active healthy.. so much for that theory. i am 44yrs old. i have been trying to find some good and positive stuf about this but mostly the stastistics are bad, seems most people die or may just well have done. id like to hear about people that have had this and are still leading an active life.. i had coiling not clipping and was unconciouse from first saying oh my head hurts twice.. i didnt come round in the hospital 4 8days and im just thinking its going to maybe happen out of the blue again and maybe i wont be so lucky. i just happened to be in a hospital at the time.. thats a miracle in itself.. im torn between resting and thinking well if theres a 60% chance of another haemorrhage in 6mnths i want to spend my time riding my horses walking my dogs etc .. not sitting on my bum watchin the world go by..

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello Chase nolan, I have only just 'strolled' upon this site or i would have replied to you earlier... but i hope, in the meantime you have been, riding horses and walking your dog on every ocassion you can? I had my Subarachnoid haemorrhage way back in 1993 when i was only just 30. Wham bam flat on my back.... but you know all about the 'feeling' you have when the sledge hammer struck.. Anyhow, i had two svh's clipped and like you was angry, confused, short tempered and not totally happy that i had survived in the 1st place...i didn't feel depressed but more totally fed up with everyone being happy for me when all i felt like was 's..t!'.. Now i still sometimes get family asking... ' you alright?' ... I'm lucky to be loved but even so, sometimes i miss the 'normal' life of pre- Subarachnoid haemorrhage I'm up for excepting though that i could well have been miserable or had a headache or got cross even without having had a sah!!! Anyway, something good on the tv now so must dash... Be ok with yourself and life will be good. sva can confuse the perspective we have of ourselves so remember not to be hard on yourself. You like me have had a tough time but there truly are better times to come if we look for them and embrace them with open hearts... dam tv programe started and i'm not a writer so take care of yourself. katie x
  • Posted

I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage in March 2011 out of the blue apart from experiencing intermittent sore throat symptoms in advance. It was fortunate that the injury took place while I was working in a university and they were able to take me to hospital immediately. I too had a coil fitted to reduce the chances of future aneurysms. I wasn't deemed to be fit enough to return home in July 2012!

I obviously had to have rehabilitation on a daily basis and was monitored every day as I kept trying to escape! I had to take a sedative for several months to manage the extreme rage I seemed to have developed as a direct result of the injury. I have been told that this is a common occurrence following a haemorrhage like mine. I must say that is wasn't particularly helpful to find yourself with internal rage only to exposed to the likes of Jeremy Kyle, Jerry Springer and the likes on tv. It was frustrating and embarrassing to hear about my behaviour particularly that my occupation was related to managing ASB in education. Not exactly joyful to find out that you've become the very thing you've been trying to rectify! It has affected my entire life. I can no longer do the things I used to. I'm 39 but feel 50!

I would hope that your hospital or your gp is monitoring you on a regular basis and if not I suggest that you push that yourself!

• Posted

I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage in March 2011 out of the blue apart from experiencing intermittent sore throat symptoms in advance. It was fortunate that the injury took place while I was working in a university and they were able to take me to hospital immediately. I too had a coil fitted to reduce the chances of future aneurysms. I wasn't deemed to be fit enough to return home in July 2012!

I obviously had to have rehabilitation on a daily basis and was monitored every day as I kept trying to escape! I had to take a sedative for several months to manage the extreme rage I seemed to have developed as a direct result of the injury. I have been told that this is a common occurrence following a haemorrhage like mine. I must say that is wasn't particularly helpful to find yourself with internal rage only to exposed to the likes of Jeremy Kyle, Jerry Springer and the likes on tv. It was frustrating and embarrassing to hear about my behaviour particularly that my occupation was related to managing ASB in education. Not exactly joyful to find out that you've become the very thing you've been trying to rectify! It has affected my entire life. I can no longer do the things I used to. I'm 39 but feel 50!

I would hope that your hospital or your gp is monitoring you on a regular basis and if not I suggest that you push that yourself!

• Posted

I had my SAH in 2009 and was pretty ill as I do not remember anything until I had a shunt fitted in 2010.  I now feel almost normal apart from I cannot walk very far.

Not bad as they said to my hubby "put her in a home" now 5 years later I am a  so

happy to be alive, walking approx 60 to 100 yards.  Tomorrow a marathon j/k.

I thank my surgeon and my family they keep me going so to all of you No Stress.

and keep happy and sing xx We'll get there eventually.

Good luck all  Win xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.